PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Carburator

66GT
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Any suggestions for an Edelbrock expert. Preferably the western suburbs. Carb is acting very strange and it is beyond my skill set :-(.

TF2v97SN
10-15-2010, 07:14 AM
does it need a rebuild or what?

66gtk
10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Remove and replace with a Holley...

Actually Edelbrocks are supposed to run pretty good out of the box, but they aren't as adjustable as a Holley. How long has it been on your car, and what kind of gas do you use - how old is the gas? Has it ever run properly? When was the last time?

DNeinstadt
10-15-2010, 07:59 AM
What are the symptoms? Maybe we can help diagnose? I have an Edelbrock 650 on my '66 and it runs great, we could try swapping it if you wanted to diagnose/troubleshoot..

Also, Dan W (DWMetalworks) rebuilt mine and did a good job cleaning it up. Maybe he'll post in here..

66GT
10-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Isolated the first problem to carbon build up inside the dist. cap. Cleaned all the contacts and she ran very well. Went on a "Cruise for Kids" 200+ miles and performance was excellent. Got about 10 miles from home and more problems. Low RPM's and the engine would stall. When I accelerated, the engine would flood and try to stall, but would eventually come up to power. I went out this evening to see if she would start and the engine fired up quickly as normal. Drove around the block, pulled into the garage, turned off the engine, restarted, and the engine had to hit 10,000 RPM's. Shut it down, restarted and all was fine. Youngstedt's near me supposedly has 2 mechanics who work on vintage cars, one in Hopkins and one in Minnetonka. I am going to give them a try. I hate to leave my car, but I don't see any other choice at this point. Four years and not a single problem, all of a sudden a real mess - bummer. If I was a serious drinker, I would be doing shots about now!

66GT
10-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Actually Edelbrocks are supposed to run pretty good out of the box, but they aren't as adjustable as a Holley. How long has it been on your car, and what kind of gas do you use - how old is the gas? Has it ever run properly? When was the last time?

It was on the car when I purchased it four years ago. I also have the original Autolite, but I am sure it would need a total rebuild. I use the highest octane available. Gas is/was fresh. Engine was rebuilt 7 years ago. I have never had a mechanical problem until now.

DNeinstadt
10-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I'd take the carb off (four nuts, vacuum lines, & a fuel line) and have it rebuilt at a shop, no need to drop your car off?? Or get a custom tune with it on a dyno at a shop nearby.

No1Ford
10-18-2010, 07:43 AM

This first^^^^

I'd take the carb off (four nuts, vacuum lines, & a fuel line) and have it rebuilt at a shop, no need to drop your car off?? Or get a custom tune with it on a dyno at a shop nearby.
This if you don't put the Holley on it!^^^^