PDA

View Full Version : Mustang replacement brakes - recommendations?

p51mstg
11-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I just discovered that my daily driver needs brakes. This isn't the perfect time for an upgrade, and will keep the stock wheels. I'm looking for OEM replacements, but am willing to try something new.

Are ceramic pads worth the price? What rotors should I get? Does anyone have a recommendation on brand(s)? Are Hawk Performance pads as good as they claim?

DNeinstadt
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I have used Hawk pads almost exclusively in my Cobras and have used them on my other vehicles (truck, daily drivers, etc). I love them and they work pretty well. They don't dust much and seem to be a great street and racing pad if you pick the right ones. I'm assuming you're looking for street pads, not racing pads? I would recommend the Hawk pads to you for that. :)

Dan

HELLFYR
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
2nd Hawks

HPS for the street
HP Plus for the auto-cross / drag strip
Blues (DC-10???) for the Road Course

Note: HP Plus dust like CRAZY, HPS very little, but the "bite" between the 2 is night and day difference. The HP Plus will throw you through the windshield when you hit the pedal. The HPS are closer to stock with a little more bite than the stock pads.

Rod

p51mstg
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks! I knew you guys would have good advice.

What about rotors for street use???

Are slotted rotors worth the extra money?

DNeinstadt
11-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I've used Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads and I think that's a pretty proven combo. Howver, there are some other options depending on if you do a lot of roadcourse or autocross. I have bought the ceramic pad & rotor combo on Ebay before and it seems to be decent but for high speed autocross, the cheaper rotors tend to crack around the drilled areas. Rod has had somebad luck with them.

p51mstg
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Hawk HPS pads and PowerSlot rotors ordered. Thanks for the input!

DNeinstadt
11-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Let us know your feedback when you get this on the road, would love to hear if Rod and I are the only fanboys! :)

Dan

HELLFYR
11-17-2010, 09:07 AM
... the cheaper rotors tend to crack around the drilled areas. Rod has had somebad luck with them.

This.
I switched over to the 2000R rotors last year (slotted only) and they have been wonderful.

Still have the el-cheapo slotted and drilled in the rear of the car. With the brake bias on our
cars those will probably outlast the frame.

sonicx
11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
i think if your going cheapo... to keep the blank rotors. BHawk pads and Powerslot are the best of the best. They're expensive but like everything, you pay for what you get. :fork:

p51mstg
03-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Rear brakes were replaced last fall, and the plan was to replace the fronts when it got warm out. Unfortunately, my right front brake sounded like it was grinding metal on metal.... mainly, I think, because.... it was. (oops) So. front brakes are on now and broken in, per the instructions.

I just have one question: After replacing the brakes, both front wheels wobble and I could only reuse 2 lug nuts on each wheel. Is it supposed to be like that? Can I just leave the other lug nuts off? The ride is rough, too.:help:

Seriously, I think it's going to be a good setup - Hawk pads and Powerslot rotors. Very smooth and very quiet. Once the roads get washed off a little bit with April Showers, we'll see how well they work. Can't wait to do a little autox this summer!

DNeinstadt
03-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Hawk pads & powerslot rotors are a proven combo and I have used them on many vehicles. I'm very pleased with that particular matchup. :)

Dan