PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat or Paint

house308
11-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Could anybody tell me an easy way to figure out if my rims on my mustang are painted or powder coated? I have white replica cobra R's. I wanted get them powder coated black but it cost more if they already powder coated. Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks.

MadJack
11-27-2010, 08:41 PM
one way is to take the tire off and look on the inside, most likely here will be overspray from what ever process it went through, paint will be roughly 1-1.5 mills thick and wont really be raised, powder coat on the other hand when white has to be applied much thicker so that it doesnt show through, usually 2.5-3 mills and you will see a distictive raise in the paint. i worked in paint and powder coat, making the stuff for about a year and a half, the reason its more expensive(if you dont already know is) is cause they have to heat the rims to 800* for about 40 min to burn off the old stuff, then they still have to prep the surface, where as if its painted they can just blast them and wipe them off and coat them.

robl110
11-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Red stang with black rims:headbang:
For powder coating give Don at Cooters a call. He does nice work for a very reasonable price. He cleaned up my powder coated intakes and coated black for $60.
http://cooterscoating.com/

FLSTCI71
11-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Depending on how far you want to drive, I have been using K&A Coatings in Rushford, MN.

http://www.kandacoatings.com/

I had them powder coat the Edsel bumper brackets last year and I just had them ceramic coat my 428 Police Interceptor intake. They have a deal with a local sand blaster who blasts anything they can't clean up themselves. I did not price Cooters (who did an awesome job on Rob's parts), but K&A was about 1/2 of what TC Powderworks quoted me.

p51mstg
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
A 428 Police Interceptor in an Edsel... interesting concept....

I'll have to keep K&A in mind - that's close enough to my neck of the woods.

FLSTCI71
11-28-2010, 08:34 PM
A 428 Police Interceptor in an Edsel... interesting concept....

Ha, the PI is for my Torino. I have something much better in the works for the Edsel. :D

HELLFYR
11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd bet they are powder-coated.

As for the burning off the old coating at 800*, I think I'd avoid that method on wheels.

Burning off old powder on a substrate that isn't "structurely" important may be fine, but for something that takes the abuse that
a wheel does with all the various torsions and impacts... I just wouldn't do it. You are setting yourself up for potential trouble.
I know there is at least one wheel manufacturer who says DO NOT powdercoat our wheels (BBS) for exactly that reason.
If an oven is set too hot it may comprimise the integrity of the aluminum.

Old powder can be removed through a low temperature process (under 200*) in combination with media blasting.
But you have to find a shop that knows how to do it.

There are also solvents/chemicals that can be used to remove the old powder.
Again, have to be sure the chemicals are "aluminum friendly".

Another option (not sure how it would turn out) would be to simply scuff and paint over the top of the old powder.
You can also powder over powder in some instances (depends on powder type, age, colors and oven temps for the original application).

In any case, take one of the wheels to a RELIABLE powder coater and get their professional assessment of what they can do for you.

I've got only one guy I trust in the Minneapolis area to do my work, but that could simply be because he has been a long time friend.

Ask around.

I'll PM you the number for my guy. Give him a call.
If nothing else he can give you a feel for what needs to be done and the approximate cost.
He is NOT as cheap as many will do in the area, but his quality is excellent.

Rod

engnerdan
11-30-2010, 07:15 AM
I'd bet they are powder-coated.

As for the burning off the old coating at 800*, I think I'd avoid that method on wheels.

Burning off old powder on a substrate that isn't "structurely" important may be fine, but for something that takes the abuse that
a wheel does with all the various torsions and impacts... I just wouldn't do it. You are setting yourself up for potential trouble.
I know there is at least one wheel manufacturer who says DO NOT powdercoat our wheels (BBS) for exactly that reason.
If an oven is set too hot it may comprimise the integrity of the aluminum.

Old powder can be removed through a low temperature process (under 200*) in combination with media blasting.
But you have to find a shop that knows how to do it.

There are also solvents/chemicals that can be used to remove the old powder.
Again, have to be sure the chemicals are "aluminum friendly".

Another option (not sure how it would turn out) would be to simply scuff and paint over the top of the old powder.
You can also powder over powder in some instances (depends on powder type, age, colors and oven temps for the original application).

In any case, take one of the wheels to a RELIABLE powder coater and get their professional assessment of what they can do for you.

I've got only one guy I trust in the Minneapolis area to do my work, but that could simply be because he has been a long time friend.

Ask around.

If nothing else he can give you a feel for what needs to be done and the approximate cost.
He is NOT as cheap as many will do in the area, but his quality is excellent.

Rod

What Rod Said

Depending on the aluminum alloy, above 320*F can start to change the heat treatment/ properties of the metal.

Annealing of aluminum happens between 650*F and 775*F (depending on alloy). So you would end up with a dead soft part if you heated an aluminum part to 800*F, which would be very bad.

-Dan

MadJack
11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
fyi, i said 800 cause thats the stuff i worked with , idk about other products from other companies

FLSTCI71
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Ask around.

Isn't your guy a business owner like Rob's guy and my guy? Wouldn't he want his name advertised on a car web site to lots of potential customers? Or does he just do his own parts and parts for friends? If so, I totally get it. Just curious about the cloak and dagger around a powder coater.

HELLFYR
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Isn't your guy a business owner like Rob's guy and my guy? Wouldn't he want his name advertised on a car web site to lots of potential customers? Or does he just do his own parts and parts for friends? If so, I totally get it. Just curious about the cloak and dagger around a powder coater.

It's secret top clearance govt work. :ontome:

No, in reality, I just prefer to get permission from the business owner before publishing his business name within any site.
While I don't expect he'd have any issue with our site, it's best to find out first.
I've contacted him and requested permission... who knows, maybe I can parlay that into a site sponsorship too ???

Rod

HELLFYR
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Got the go ahead from the shop owner to publish his info:

Kangas Enameling Inc
609 - 12th Avenue South
Hopkins, MN 55343
Phone: 952-935-5253
Fax: 952-935-1896
info@kangasenameling.com

Rod

FLSTCI71
03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Those look good, from what I can see. Can you post a bigger pic or post a link to a pic? Where'd you end up going? Are you happy with them?

Aspette
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
very nice :)

sonicx
03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
IS that red i see in those rims (Pic too small can't tell)? If so, dang man that'll look sharp not doubt with the FOX in your user pic.

house308
03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=1777693695203&set=at.1720239618887.92883.1625197783.607097999&theater
i cant figure how else to get a bigger picture.

FLSTCI71
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
There ya go! Lookin' good!! So, what centers are you going to use?

robl110
03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/robl110/dougswheels.jpg

They look great Doug! Can't wait to see them on your car.

MadJack
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
wow those will look great!

house308
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
oh they do look great on my car, just put them on. wish my garage was bigger so i could get a good picture.

house308
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
the cobra center caps that i have had since i bought the rims.

house308
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM
heres where i had the rims done at a very reasonable price. http://www.extremepowdercoating.net/