PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see on the website?

LadyCobra
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Now that I'm going to solely focused on the Website this year, I get to play and be a nerd. I have some of my own ideas for the website, but would like to see recommendations from others.

One item already on my list is a better Photo Album. The one built in is better but still isn't quite meeting expectations so I'm going to research more options and see if cost effective to put in a new one.

I'll also be upgrading the software and making some cosmetic changes for the New Year.

So what would you like to see?

Include any forum changes, content changes, etc.

Thanks! :thup:

HELLFYR
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
How about a "link exchange" page ?

Would allow us to cross link with other related boards.

Rod

F8LBITE
01-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Example please?

p51mstg
01-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm probably the only one that can't figure out how to put more than 5 pictures in my photo album, but yeah I think that could benefit from improvement.

HELLFYR
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Example please?

Just a page of links to other related websites.
We add a link to another website when they agree to add a link to ours.

These are typically NOT on a primary page of the website (aka not the landing page, not even directly in a forum page.... this is so that there
is little or no conflict with SPONSORS who are PAYING to be in those locations). Normally just another page hanging off the side of the site with
a link to it.

We should be prepared to review a link exchange should a sponsor (or club member) take issue with it.

It is a small form-factor web portal.

HELLFYR
01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Could post up any number of "best" lists as well...

Best 1/4 miles times (this has existed before... maybe even still does, didn't go to check before writing)
Best lap-times brainard short course
Best lap-times Mid-America Motorplex
Best times DCTC Auto-Cross

Show trophy grid (user / how many 1st / 2nds / 3rds )

etc.

I'm of the opinion that each should reset yearly.

Just throwing out ideas...

sonicx
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd like see a specific help thread. Like a place where you could post up getting advice/ guidance at.

edit: Im aware of the tech talk but Im wondering about something a bit more specific that would generate more views / ppl askings & answering questions.

F8LBITE
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM

These are typically NOT on a primary page of the website (aka not the landing page, not even directly in a forum page.... this is so that there
is little or no conflict with SPONSORS who are PAYING to be in those locations). Normally just another page hanging off the side of the site with
a link to it.

We should be prepared to review a link exchange should a sponsor (or club member) take issue with it.

Gotcha, Thanks

drop top
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Cookie Request section??

So Jenn knows who she needs to make cookies for and in what order...

:whippin::whippin::whippin:

LadyCobra
01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Cookie Request section??

So Jenn knows who she needs to make cookies for and in what order...

:whippin::whippin::whippin:

Will only happen if a group collection is done for a new KitchenAid mixer for Jenn's kitchen to handle the mass quantity of cookies to be made. Until then it's not happening :dancenana:

MadJack
01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
hmmm, there will be a collection pot at the next meeting... :uhoh:

notnss
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Will only happen if a group collection is done for a new KitchenAid mixer for Jenn's kitchen to handle the mass quantity of cookies to be made. Until then it's not happening :dancenana:

:think:

TF2v97SN
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM

i got 5 bucks

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 07:39 AM
:woot:

Now back on topic! Keep the suggestions coming!

I added a Countdown to the Spring Cruise on the home page this morning.
Will see some other tweaks over the next few weeks.

MadJack
01-18-2011, 07:57 AM
loving the countdown. the only thing i'd like to see is a better pics area or wut ever lol

HMMRDWN
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
echo the fix the photo album issues :)

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
With gas prices on the rise, is there something where we could keep track of current prices? Members could enter where the cheap gas is at as they go about there daily travels. Just a thought...

Joe M
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
With gas prices on the rise, is there something where we could keep track of current prices? Members could enter where the cheap gas is at as they go about there daily travels. Just a thought...

Isn't there already a site for that?

http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/St_Paul/index.aspx

HELLFYR
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
twincitiesgasprices.com

they probably have an rss feed we could tap into

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I could probably tap into a Feed for it like Rod said or have a "widget" on the site. I'll look into it :thup:

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Isn't there already a site for that?

http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/St_Paul/index.aspx
I guess I was trying to tie something like that in with THIS site.:kickbutt:

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Gas Prices for the Twin Cities area are now at the bottom of the home page in the center column.
Might get moved in the various tweaks of the site I'll be doing but for now that is where they are :)

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

a link to it.

Good idea! Just need some sites that people would be interested in for "link exchanges" and I can build a page from there.

Could post up any number of "best" lists as well...

Best 1/4 miles times (this has existed before... maybe even still does, didn't go to check before writing)
Best lap-times brainard short course
Best lap-times Mid-America Motorplex
Best times DCTC Auto-Cross

Show trophy grid (user / how many 1st / 2nds / 3rds )

etc.

I'm of the opinion that each should reset yearly.

Just throwing out ideas...

The Garage will allow for posting Timeslips, Lap Times, Dynos, etc. Do you mean a separate list that is generated for people to submit and we keep updated?

I'd like see a specific help thread. Like a place where you could post up getting advice/ guidance at.

edit: Im aware of the tech talk but Im wondering about something a bit more specific that would generate more views / ppl askings & answering questions.

Do you have an example? Basically in the past if there is a specific issue someone needs help with they post up and people respond. Do you mean a series of Technical articles that are already published? Just trying to get more of a feel of what you are looking for here. :)

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Gas Prices for the Twin Cities area are now at the bottom of the home page in the center column.
Might get moved in the various tweaks of the site I'll be doing but for now that is where they are :)
Sweet! Thank you. Now that will bring me to the front page more than I have been, which was not very often

Joe M
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I guess I was trying to tie something like that in with THIS site.:kickbutt:

:bootyshake:

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Better have that mole checked out!:D

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Sweet! Thank you. Now that will bring me to the front page more than I have been, which was not very often

:thup:

Hoping to make the home page and other areas of the site more content rich for members (and potential new ones) to stop by more frequently. Have a list of goals for it, just hoping I can do most of them!

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
A Mahjong and Sudoku game would keep me on this site longer. Just sayin

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Hmmmm working that hard huh?

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Always

LadyCobra
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I'll look into games for the site. As long as they don't effect speed on the site, might be a possibility.

sonicx
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Thats really a cool idea. Im sad though.... $3.19 around my neck of the woods :eek2:

I'll look into games for the site. As long as they don't effect speed on the site, might be a possibility.

CHECKERS? :D

F8LBITE
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I saw from the home page that it was $3.00 at Costco so I filled up the Ranger on the way home. It was $3.19 at SA next to work.

Sorry, now back on topic...

HMMRDWN
01-18-2011, 09:42 PM
got it for 2.98 at costco in Coon rapids tonight

Miller
01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd love a car of the month, with different themes each month. Like daily driver, 4 cyl, hauler, muscle truck, etc....

MadJack
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
got it for 2.98 at costco in Coon rapids tonight

you and your regular gas... :squint:

i hate premium lol

FLSTCI71
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
I'd love a car of the month, with different themes each month. Like daily driver, 4 cyl, hauler, muscle truck, etc....

With a short bio? "Purchased x, restored/built over x years, engine work by x, body/paint by x, major mods are x, future plans include x, etc" Something like that? Obviously, the highlights would be different for a 1965 than they would for a 2005, but the format could be relatively standard. Personally, I like to know a little background vs just a car/truck picture even if it's something I would never consider buying or building.

sonicx
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Is there enough members online here to do this? Like I know we have alot of club members but there seems to only be a small small number of us who post on daily/weekly compared to our overall club membership.

DNeinstadt
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM

i hate premium lol

Why are you running premium?

Joe M
01-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Why are you running premium?

The car WAS tuned on premium...
However that was on the previous motor...

Nick,
Have you spent the $100 or so to have it re tuned Like i told you to when you bought it...

LadyCobra
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM

With a short bio? "Purchased x, restored/built over x years, engine work by x, body/paint by x, major mods are x, future plans include x, etc" Something like that? Obviously, the highlights would be different for a 1965 than they would for a 2005, but the format could be relatively standard. Personally, I like to know a little background vs just a car/truck picture even if it's something I would never consider buying or building.

Is there enough members online here to do this? Like I know we have alot of club members but there seems to only be a small small number of us who post on daily/weekly compared to our overall club membership.

We could certainly do something for a Member/Car of the Month. We could make it a nomination process or just pick at random too. What do you all think for picking the car/member?

As for number of members online, most of our members have registered on the forum, it's just a matter of producing content to get them here more often. Hence my goals for this year of building up the site. We have over 140 paid members in the club right now so we certainly have a pool of members to pull interesting information from :)

HMMRDWN
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM

i hate premium lol

Girl truck takes regular....still feel it in the checkbook though. :)

Stilz
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
x2 on the car of the month.

maybe a section in the photos for previous winners of shows? with their photo from that day?

HELLFYR
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
...with their photo from that day?

if they don't just blow through the photography area.... :kickbutt:

MadJack
01-27-2011, 10:55 PM
is there anyway to have a "like" button on each reply, so we can hit that instead of"quote, "this"" or " :stupid: " ya know?