PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick My Next Car

John Vilsack
02-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Those of you who have talked to me in the past six months are probably already sick of hearing it, but I want to get a new daily driver. I'm absolutely torn as to what I want, so I'd like to hear some thoughts from other people who will help me make a decision :)

I will be keeping my Cobra, but getting rid of the Cougar. Its a great car, but I want something that is a bit newer and I don't think something is wrong with it after driving the Cobra. I used to think the Cobra was fast.

The goal is to get something that I WANT TO DRIVE. Now that I'm much happier with where the Cobra is, I want to drive it less and that means something that has some X-Factor to it so the Cobra isn't commuting when its nice out. I'm looking in the 15-20ish range. Here are the current contenders.

New Mazda 2 (Manual) - 200lbs heavier than a Lotus Elise and 150 pounds lighter than the Fiesta, the reviews about the 2 are that its a fun little go cart. It gets 35MPG which is nice but the thing the reviews talk about is that the interior is less than the Fiesta and the cabin is loud. Plus, its kind of a Ford and the Green color is way cooler than the Fiesta version.

New Ford Fiesta (Auto Clutch) - Keeping it in the Ford Family proper, the Fiesta carries 20 more hp but due to more refinement, its less whippy than the 2. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since the general public thinks my commuter vehicle should be less aggressive anyway :) Its way more tech saavy and the 40MPG would get the statistics nerd in me to start trying to eek as much out of the fuel as possible.

New Honda Fit (Auto) - 38 Miles Per Gallon, the outer look of the Fit basically shows the world that I've given up on trying to be cool, which means I'd have to put a bumper sticker on the back that says "I'm not dead, My other car is a Mustang" just to show I still have taste. The Fit is typical Honda, carries great resale value, enormous cargo space for a giant dog, and gets about 38MPG. It does come with a flappy paddle gearbox, so that's always fun...on the inside.

Used Subaru WRX or other AWD - Less gas mileage, but oh my god the fun that could be had in the snow. I'm open to an AWD car that's used. Gas mileage would be the same as the Cougar

Used VW CC - I absolutely love the look the CC has. Almost like a baby Phaeton, the car is the closest I would get to luxury, and I could see myself enjoying it every day. It gets 30MPG, so it'd be meh in that department. I can get a 2009 for around the top end of my budget.

So what do you think? Give me some help!

drop top
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
a buddy of mine LOVES his fit. What about a Yaris? There is a kid that auto corsses his Yaris at Amery and does QUITE well!!

No1Ford
02-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Miller
02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Why not the new Focus ST. 250 hp turbo inline 4, but for the price range you're competing with wrx's.

Also, fusion with a 6sp manual? I have only heard good things about those fusions.

notnss
02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Used G35x

John Vilsack
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I drove the CC last week. I'm kinda in love. I'm starting to lean away from small cars.

Better to just wait until I know what I really want, I guess.

mheiss5555
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Driving a 2011 Fiesta SE, great car and 33.5 mpg. Leasing better than a buy right now

ch435
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
We just bought a 2011 Fiesta for the wife. It's a fun little car with lots of goodies - Heated leather seats, power moonroof, a very smooth six speed auto, sync system, usb port, etc. Plus we've been getting 35-36 mpg in combined city /hwy.

Blackcoog
04-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Other options:

Mazda Speed 6 (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=64666790&listingRecNum=6&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20073%26stkTyp%3DU% 26mdId%3D21450%26rd%3D100000%26mlgId%3D28863%26crS rtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-mlgId%26zc%3D55432%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national)
Mazda Speed 3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-MAZDA-SPEED-3-NO-RESERVE-LEATHER-6-SPEED-TURBO-/220768864039?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3366d98727)

-Contour SVT custom built with a 3L motor by 3LDuratec.com for $5.5k :) :)
-Your Cougar with a new 3L motor dropped by 3LDuratec.com for $3k :) :) :)

ptbr45
04-18-2011, 08:12 AM
I have been thinking about this too as of late. One of the biggest things for me is reliability and then fun/functionality. I drive a BMW as my daily driver and even though it is very nice I don't get the wow factor out of driving it that I thought I would but it is a great car for me for what I need it for. The thing that would concern me about any car from europe are the repairs--my BMW is still under warranty so I haven't spent a dime on it but there have been several things that I have had to deal with on it that I wouldn't have had to deal with on an American or Japanese car. Audi/VW have a pretty poor record for repairs and cost. I have been thinking about a Fusion Sport for a daily driver but I really want more grunt. Recently I started thinking about the Taurus SHO. That would be a rockin' fun car to drive.

All that being said I do love the look of the CC and I have never owned and Audi/VW. Everyone has their needs/wants in a car and if you drove it and love it then I would say go for it as long as you have driven some other cars and aren't in love with those. Can't drive just one and know you love that car.

John Vilsack
04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Yeah, we have shifted a bit since driving a particular Audi S4 to make sure we cover the whole spectrum of cars in the price range of the CC. This includes the "best car nobody will ever buy" Buick Lacrosse, the Honda Accord, and a hybrid Fusion/Escape.

Blackcoog is on to something, but I think I want a change. Something with leather (can't explain that one away, but decent leather has become a big deal all of a sudden. something about the niceness of the cabin).

ptbr45
04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I think buick should bring back the Grand National. that would rock.

John Vilsack
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I'll just have a hard time getting over the fact that its a Buick. I've never owned a GM, and Buick is just...a rolling casket.

Blackcoog
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, we have shifted a bit since driving a particular Audi S4 to make sure we cover the whole spectrum of cars in the price range of the CC. This includes the "best car nobody will ever buy" Buick Lacrosse, the Honda Accord, and a hybrid Fusion/Escape.

Blackcoog is on to something, but I think I want a change. Something with leather (can't explain that one away, but decent leather has become a big deal all of a sudden. something about the niceness of the cabin).

You can get the Mazda 6 speed in leather if you get the grand touring package.

prostang92
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
prius or insight....

John Vilsack
04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
prius or insight....

From hell's heart, you stab at thee....