PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a living?

No1Ford
03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Figured we could start one of these thread; sense it's a new site!:)

I was a R@D tech, but for the last five months I've been on a Engineering team. Most of my background is in machine maintenance with some college. I try to be a jack of all trades. The company I currently work for is...... http://www.superfabric.com/

Miller
03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm a full time student of Manufacturing Engineering Technology and work about 30 hours a week at Sam's Club in the meat department. Not a great living but I do alright.

Video_Master
03-31-2010, 09:35 PM
I am a full time Culinary student and am also on unemployment. Been looking for a break in the food biz but have not found one yet.

SnakeByte
03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Full time IT Manager for a Local R&D Company for 12 years, MSCE, CCNA. A+, N+, Security+, Server+, Double Major in Network Security/IT HelpDesk from InverHills, 4.0 GPA

engnerdan
04-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I am and Engineering Technician at a local company that make sensors for machines, assembly lines and packaging equipment. For the last 3 years I was a mechanical designer at this place but recently got a title change that is more fitting to the work I do. I spend most of my time at a computer running Pro-E (CAD) designing fixtures and new product.

I also started my own business welding recently, I do mobile and in shop welding of about any metal that can be welded.

-Dan

HELLFYR
04-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Degree is in Computer Engineering (U of Mn Duluth - BCompE - Telecom Focus - Minors in Math and Comp Sci) but have been working for 18 years now designing/developing software for telecommunications for POPPcom (LDB, POPP.com, POPP Communications, POPP Telecom, POPP Telecom.net ...). C, Pascal, Fortran, (dare I say it...) Assembly, VB, VB.net, PHP, Perl, ASP, ASP.net, RMS/Databus, Sun PL/B. Also work designing/implementing databases, MSSQL, MySQL, XML, Access and integrating machine data. Have worked as a Director of IT, manager of IT Department in the past... still have those same responsibilities without the title now.

LadyCobra
04-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Nerds are us here! I'm a full time web designer working for myself. Have worked from home almost 10 years now, exclusively web designing for about 6 of those.

I do web, print and graphic design but also do custom things as far as templates with Excel, Word and Access (databases).

Blackcoog
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm a Test Engineer for Honeywell. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and a Minor in Physics. I develop custom test systems for our magnetic products. I source custom testers, build test boards, writes test software and maintain current test software. The magnetics products range from small magnetic chips that go into cell phones to larger products that go on army personnel (GPS/INS). I am interviewing for a Senior Test Engineer position at Honeywell today so hopefully I can make the move to that position and changes things up a bit.

Oh and I also run www.3LDuratec.com with D9. Usually I do the work and tell Dan to go put screws in 2x4's to keep him out of my hair. :rofl:

Ruiner
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
BA in Marketing, I work for a school currently. My reward is changing lives in lieu of making any decent or respectable amount of income. :freak3:

DNeinstadt
04-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm an IT Manager for an Engineering firm (Bonestroo) in Roseville. Been here 14 years, went to college at UWRF where I met the lovely DirtyM. Computer Science major, Economics minor.

I also fix computers for cash and I sell replacement performance motors for SVT Contours/Cougars.

Dan

DNeinstadt
04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm a Test Engineer for Honeywell. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and a Minor in Physics. I develop custom test systems for our magnetic products. I source custom testers, build test boards, writes test software and maintain current test software. The magnetics products range from small magnetic chips that go into cell phones to larger products that go on army personnel (GPS/INS). I am interviewing for a Senior Test Engineer position at Honeywell today so hopefully I can make the move to that position and changes things up a bit.

Oh and I also run www.3LDuratec.com with D9. Usually I do the work and tell Dan to go put screws in 2x4's to keep him out of my hair. :rofl:

Welcome, nice first post and avatar.

Blackcoog
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Thx much!

I also fix computers for cash...

Also zingers and NOS energy drinks.

Grenade
04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Dying aint much of a living, boy. (Clint) ...Semi-employed salesman for a construction company. 06-08 great. 09-10 bust. Hopefully this year will pick up.

ch435
04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm a bean counter (accounting) - been countin em for about 18 years.

prostang92
04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
im a parts whore for a local nissan dealership...

cc

HAULNSS
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Purchasing agent / inside sales for a utilities distributor (fire hydrants, valves, sewer pipe, etc.).

Also a part time car detailer to fund my own detailing disorder. :eyetwitch::crazy: It doesn't pay much, but I find it therapeutic.:meditate:

Randy

notnss
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I have a B.S. in Urban Studies, but rather than design cities I work for a small bank as a buyer. Plus I have a photography business as well.

Evo Kevin
04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Professional wheelman (valet), AAS in auto body collision repair & have about a 1-1.5yrs lets for my BA in Technical Comm.

rolson
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm going to school for my LPN and working about 30 hours a week serving at a local restaurant (Jimmy's Pour House, Sauk Rapids).

I do well for a student. :drink:

dirtym
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a B.S. in Marketing Communications with a minor in Art. Translation: Graphic Designer. I've worked for Dex (the yellow page company) for the past 7 years.

BlownSVT
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I am a college dropout ( 3 years of my BA in business completed) and part owner of a small company that works to deliever sales process improvement consulting and training to organizations that generally get involved in complex sales cycles. We also put together lead generation/marketing campaigns based on telesales for some companies. My technical title is National Sales Director.

Stilz
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I currently work for a private security company :rolleyes:(G4S Wackenhut & Xe,) also been a wedding DJ for about 12 years :djparty:(on and off, mainly off, :lol:,) and have been in the Army Reserve for 5 years :50cal: (only 7 more to go.)
I have a wife of 3 years, a step son of 11 years and a son as of 5 months.

TF2v97SN
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I am a Ford Diesel Tech at AVF, graduated from Ford ASSET at Hennepin Tech 3 years ago

Doodler
04-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Graphic Designer/Illustrator. I've just recently moved to a new place of work to Ameriprise Financial, handling a lot of the collateral for RiverSource. And i seem to like to spend most of my free time working my "second job" as an Illustrator.

FORDSVTPARTS
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I do wholesale and internet sales for Tousley Ford for OEM and Ford Racing parts.

I've been in Ford parts sales for almost twenty years, ten of those have been here at Tousley.

We ranked 2nd in the nation last year in volume sales for dealers for Ford Racing parts. :cool2:

Ruiner
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
We ranked 2nd in the nation last year in volume sales for dealers for Ford Racing parts. :cool2:

Dang!! :thup: Do you know which dealership is first?

GMan
04-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I work out of my home in, Industrial Sales for Food & Packaging primarily. I have nine Principle lines that I represent in the Conveyor and Hose products. Just got back from North Dakota working on Blow Out Protection systems for the Oil Rigs. Metal Hose and Expansion Joints, etc. Here is my Web site that Jen put together for me. :baby: http://www.allensales.net/

FORDSVTPARTS
04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Dang!! :thup: Do you know which dealership is first?

Tommy Vaughn in Houston and it wasn't by all that much, we'll be shooting for first this year :warmup:

All we get out of it is bragging rights but there's something to be said for that. :)

Cobrizo
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm a Sr Buyer/Planner for a privately held medical device design and manufacturer located near the state fairgrounds on Energy Park Drive. Been there 9 years and absolutely love it. Employees are truly valued and management is great! Plus I get to run over my lunch hour!

KyleQ
04-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I work for United Health Group doing local hardware repair and high level remote support. I've got an AS in Computer Science - graduated with a academic excellence and perfect attendance. I also fix computers for cash -

^^
Another person from up North - Hi :fork:

shadowMN
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I own an Industrial Distribution buisness located in Inver Grove Heights, in a 15000 S.F. Office/warehouse. We market lab furniture, Lista Storage & workbenches, Micro-Blasting equipment, Specialty Pneumatic and hydraulic tools, and a host of other products to Industrial, Aerospace, electronic and medical OEM's. (www.custom-products.com). Started the business in 1989. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.... time flys when your having fun. :banghead:

KrisR
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Another person from up North - Hi :fork:

Oh hello to you too.

I work for MnDOT and run a land surveying crew. Been there for 11 years now (since I was 21).

SnakeByte
04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh hello to you too.

I work for MnDOT and run a land surveying crew. Been there for 11 years now (since I was 21).

Welcome aboard MFE KrisR!.....:headbang:

Spiral
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I am a development engineer for a company that developments laboratory instrumentation, more specifically aerosol measurement instrumentation. It is a small company so my job responsibilities vary tremendously, but for the most part I do testing and development based on results. The last four years I have been working with water condensation particle counters that measure in the size range from 2.5nm to 100nm and from concentrations of ~0 to 1e7.

Joe M
04-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Joe McMahon
Currently working as a Contractor for Tek Systems. Placed @ Ecolab in Eagan.
I do Remote Support for about 60% of my job.
I am a Subject Matter expert for our group with Networking, Outlook/Exchange/Blackberry and Soon to be added as an in House Application S.M.E. (Counts for approx 40% of Ecolab's income)
The other portion of my Job is Network/Server Monitoring and Escalation. Working Directly with Windows Server, Unix, Vmware and IPKVM to do my job.

I have an AAS In Computer Networking + Security, but have not picked up any certs (who has the money for them? i sure don't).

As with many others on here, I also do PC/Laptop Repair, Upgrades/ Data Recoveries and so on. I am generally cheaper than most everyone out there, and also much more thorough in what i do. I have never charged a client for a job i was not able to complete in a timely manner (Generally under 24 hours) or if i was not able to complete it at all (something i can not fix, i never charge for, despite being out the time and effort).

With that Said - I am a ford nut. I think its a sickness that can only be fed with more ford products.

http://www.askreamaor.com/images/demotivation_poster_3.jpg

Dazed1
04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Geez lotsa 'puter geeks... ME TOO!

for the past 18 years I have been at the U of MN Twin Cities, I maintain the VMware infrastructure and also do Windows Server administration. Prior to that I spent 13 years at what was then St. Paul Cos (now Traveler's) doing mainframe computer operations and WAN networking.

Joe M. Can relly realte to your tech support pic.:thatsfunny:

Shadowgray03
04-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Geek here as well. Im an IBM POWER systems engineer with an IBM Business partner. No formal education but have been working on IBM gear since back in the mid 80's. 13 current IBM certifications.

1991lx
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I am a IT Telecommunications Analyst. Kinda fell into the field right outta high school 20 yrs ago...

forgotn
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
1. Process Engineer and sales for a local printed circuit board company.
2. Fire Fighter - Oak Grove
3. EMT - Pine Medical Ambulance
4. Professional Musician

:uhoh3:

CapriG6
05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm a CNA/HHA In the Hospice/Palliative Care dept. for a local Hospital.
Plus have 3 kids errr..... I mean 2 kids and 1 husband.

HMMRDWN
05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm a CNA/HHA In the Hospice/Palliative Care dept. for a local Hospital.
Plus have 3 kids errr..... I mean 2 kids and 1 husband.

Wow, this is an extremely difficult job and I'm happy that we have people such as yourselves that give of themselves in this capacity. :)

CCr
05-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I make money off of oil and high gas prices. sorry guys. I'm a gas technician for neset consulting service. we provide geologists and gas equipment for drilling companies that are drilling in the baaken formation of NW North Dakota and Northwest Montana. what I do is provide a 24/7 on call service for neset consulting service. if there is a problem with the gas equipment I need to be on the ball! but I now have some time off, as in I'm not on call all the f'in time. black01stang experienced this on saturday when I was on call. 9+hours when the gf is in town from 600 miles away suckd. but it had to be done. basically I work in the oildield and love when gas prices are high. but there is a cost to it, I work a lot and buy a lot of gas station food, so there is really no profit.

CapriG6
05-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Wow, this is an extremely difficult job and I'm happy that we have people such as yourselves that give of themselves in this capacity. :)

:) I really don't know what to say. Thank - You, very much! :)
Some days are REALLY hard and other days can be rewarding (if that makes any sense). It's horrible- people have to go through this, but if I can make it just a little easier for them or even put a tiny little smile on their face, it makes my day!! but like last night, some can really be heart wrenching & those times really STINK! :(

Spiral
05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
4. Professional Musician

Which PCB company?

GMan
05-05-2010, 09:39 AM
4. Professional Musician

Tell me about your music?? Where and what do you play professionally?

forgotn
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Which PCB company?

Electronic Industries in Vadnais Heights

forgotn
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Tell me about your music?? Where and what do you play professionally?

I'm in a local country band but I'm really more of an acoustic guy (Dan Fogelberg, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Bread). I play Acoustic guitar and sing lead but I also play Bass, Drums, and a little Piano. I play most of the large local venues with my band, and I do 1 man shows at some of the smaller ones. Route 65 (East Bethel) and Panino's in North Oaks.