PDA

View Full Version : Forum Question - Tech Talk

HMMRDWN
03-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Just curious why the Tech Talk threads are in the members only forum section?

TF2v97SN
03-30-2011, 06:20 PM
because of the good information the threads bring, IMO its worth it as a member benefit being the info i give is usually right and with the expertise of other members on here. if you want public tech talk go to tcstangs and see how good the tech info is you get................

MadJack
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
because of the good information the threads bring, IMO its worth it as a member benefit being the info i give is usually right and with the expertise of other members on here. if you want public tech talk go to tcstangs and see how good the tech info is you get................

this

Aspette
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
WOW is all i can say...TECH Talk is and should be all about passing on knowledge to those who need help or just want to discuss something, not about keeping to a select few.....just like others did for all of us as we grew up....and i guess there is no possible way any of us could learn from someone else that isn't in the club...the car world doesn't just revolve around this club and the tcstangs....how about look at SVT Performance with over 15,000 members and how FREELY they give their knowledge on ANYTHING....and it works....again over 15,000 members....if this really is the reason...it is childish, immature and selfish...and there are plenty of other friendly sites and people out there we can talk to to get free information if we need it...who are willing to share and feel good about helping others...seeing as no one from the board has responded to this yet i will hope this isn't the reason

LadyCobra
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
The Tech Talk has been in the Member's Only section since the club was SVTOATC. It was that way when I started as webmaster 3 years ago and when the new name/forum was put together it brought over the same. I don't know the initial reasons it was that way but I would hazard to guess the reason was because of the knowledge of paid club members.

Might I suggest instead bringing it up at a meeting for discussion (in addition to online) instead of assuming the reasons why it is a certain way. The directors are ALWAYS looking for suggestions and take many of them to heart. The car show is a PRIME example of how we are listening to members and making changes going forward.

Dazed1
03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
:thup: great answer Jen!

notnss
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
WOW is all i can say...TECH Talk is and should be all about passing on knowledge to those who need help or just want to discuss something, not about keeping to a select few.....just like others did for all of us as we grew up....and i guess there is no possible way any of us could learn from someone else that isn't in the club...the car world doesn't just revolve around this club and the tcstangs....how about look at SVT Performance with over 15,000 members and how FREELY they give their knowledge on ANYTHING....and it works....again over 15,000 members....if this really is the reason...it is childish, immature and selfish...and there are plenty of other friendly sites and people out there we can talk to to get free information if we need it...who are willing to share and feel good about helping others...seeing as no one from the board has responded to this yet i will hope this isn't the reason

I think the Internet has been a tremendously useful tool for car enthusiasts who want to seek information and learn more about their cars, things they can do, etc... However, free information does not necessarily equal good information. I've seen it happen far too often where someone gives out wrong information, be it out of their own ignorance or, sadly, out of malice. Personally, I'd be more trusting of information that's posted in a 'paid' section as it would help weed out the internet trolls.

Also, many of the other car sites are nothing more than websites (ie. TCS), MNFE is an actual car club that charges dues and offers its members various benefits, having a member's only forum is one of those where members can post various questions. If you're not a paid member then it seems like the 'Vehcile Chatter' section "Chat about your mods or ask any questions you might have concerning your Ford vehicles." would be an appropriate place to post any questions you may have.

DNeinstadt
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I'll speak to the Tech Talk that we brought here from years back. Back in the SVTOATC days we had a direct line to SVT engineers, which was a benefit that SVTOA was selling to potential members. That philosophy was carried over to the local chapters and has basically existed because it has never been questioned.

I agree that it could potentially be a valuable topic of discussion, and should be brought up in a monthly meeting.

Dan

TF2v97SN
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
well there is direct tech talk to a ford senior master tech if that counts for anything.........

Tooslow
04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Not much of an incentive if us non-members don't even know about it, let alone have access to be able to see what kind of discussions are going on in there.

Up until this point, I thought this was a purely social forum, and there were no technical discussions going on. I just assumed everyone went over to SVT Performance or other forums for that info.

Keeping the signal to noise ratio down is a good reason to keep it restricted. My suggestion would be to open it up as read-only for us non-members, with paying members having posting rights. That way people can see what kind of value it adds, and it doesn't turn into a TC Stangs-like cesspool of demands for GF pics. And best case, non-members with something to contribute to someone's tech thread could then PM or post a response thread in the Clubouse.

With so many forums out there for free, I think people realistically pay dues here because they want to help support the group of people, and the people that put in a TON of hard work to plan and organize events. I really don't think many pay dues because the tech advice here (which I haven't seen so maybe I'm wrong) is so much better and unavailable at other forums. And if it really is, making it public may help attract people, rather than springing it as a secret benefit after they pay.

And yes, I intend to join and pay my dues, hopefully this year if I can make it to a few events. Work travel and family obligations didn't leave many free weekends for social events last year!

Jeremy

DNeinstadt
04-03-2011, 04:02 PM
All good suggestions and can be brought up at any meeting as well as online.