PDA

View Full Version : July 23, 2011 - West Concord Car Show

p51mstg
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
West Concord Car Show - July 23, 10-2:30pm

Yeah, I know there's other stuff going on that weekend, but if you're not going to Car Craft this is a great little show.

http://www.wcevents.org/carshow.html

$5 to register, includes a dash plaque and a free lunch.

All proceeds go to the West Concord Historical Society, which is a very cool museum. My wife and I have done this for 5 years now, and every year seems to get better. :photo:

HMMRDWN
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
This is an awesome show! If you didn't get a chance to come out with the crew to this show last year...put it on your calendar for this year!
P51 is a fantastic host...and the West Concord folks are super nice!

TF2v97SN
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
That would be carcraft weekend!!

LadyCobra
04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Good luck with the show! Would like to have gone but already registered for Car Craft that weekend.

MadJack
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
would love to go, but already regestered for cc, good luck with the show.

Aspette
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
This is an awesome show! If you didn't get a chance to come out with the crew to this show last year...put it on your calendar for this year!
P51 is a fantastic host...and the West Concord folks are super nice!

:thatsfunny: what you did there I saw

F8LBITE
04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, since I have absolutely NO interest in CC, I might have to put this on the calendar.

F8LBITE
07-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey P51mstg, How was the show? I wanted to attend but didn't want to take a chance with the weather.

p51mstg
07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
We were set for an excellent show until the storm moved in. More people showed up early than we've ever had, which was good, because they basically made up the show once the storm passed.

About 15 minutes before it rolled in, we (WCFD) got a page that there was a thundertstorm coming. I warned all the car owners. Ten minutes later, we got another page saying we should expect high winds and hail in 5 minutes. At that point, everyone sprang into action and we managed to find a roof for every car except two white Mustangs - mine and Donna's. Fire dept. members happened to be nearby and stopped to help us empty out the fire station and pack the place with cars. Two more cars went to our house, and a few others found other people to hang out with. That part was really cool - to see everyone work together so quickly and so spontaneously was impressive!

Once the sun came out, we had a few more people show up and then enjoyed the rest of the day. One of the car owners who showed up late was a member of the fire department to the north of us (Kenyon), and he said they were hit worse than we were. There were power lines down, and quite a few trees with damage. For us, it turned out to be just rain - the hail and winds missed us, thankfully.

Overall, it was one of our smaller shows, but one of the more memorable! We received many compliments and that was encouraging.

MN Hotrod Hardware brought a couple of their projects, a Porsche 912 and a 1957 Cadillac convertible (that was so perfect, it took my breath away). I'd say besides having so many cool cars and trucks and their owners in the fire station, seeing that Caddy was definitely a highlight for me.

This has been an exceedingly strange year for weather, as far as car shows go. I think at least half of the shows I'd planned to attend were affected by rain or severe weather. Attendance was down on the ones I did get to (except for Morristown's Dam Days, which has a Dam carnival, as well as a Dam car show and many other Dam events). I don't know if other people have similar observations, but West Concord was certainly not alone as far as attendance and weather is concerned.

Leave it to a small town to do something like this, but one of the events this weekend was a garden tractor pull on Friday night in the same spot as the car show Saturday morning. "Oh, what a nice thing for the kiddies," most people are probably saying. But, none of these have mower decks or turf tires. The top dogs ran V-8's and tires that reminded me of drag racing slicks. Those were a site to see, for sure. There was also a jet engine-powered "garden tractor" that ran, but I missed seeing it.

Amy Klobuchar was in town to help hand out keys to the city to honor active-serving military personnel Friday night, as well. Jonah and the Wales are a perennial favorite, and they played Saturday night through another wave of thunderstorms.

This morning, we hosted 1,000 cyclists for an MS Society ride across Minnesota. Just for the record, that doubled the population for a couple of hours today.

HELLFYR
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
That is awesome. Small town to the rescue!