PDA

View Full Version : Prep for interior Touch up painting.....

SnakeByte
04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Finally found a place with some D3 Red in a spraycan format so I can paint my driverside red door insert. <The paint was pitting off it reall bad from day 1> It looks like that insert is plastic or maybe fiberglass?

Any tips on how to prep it for paint? ie. sanding, what grit, use primer or not? Do I have to pull it out of the door or just mask it off real well?

TIA.....

66gtk
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not familiar with your application, but I've done this recently on my '65 with great results. If it's easy to remove, it will be WAY EASIER to prep and paint it dissassembled from the car. I wouldn't use sandpaper if it has any grain/texture as you will just level the build and lose your grain. If the paint flaking areas are severe, you may have to try a "feather approach" with some sandpaper carefully around only the paint pitted areas if necessary. Generally, for plastic/fiberglass panels I just usually scrub it really good with scotch brite or green 3M pad with simple green/warm water. 00 Steel Wool also works well to get into the nooks and crannies. Get it as clean as you can and get a dull surface on there as paint won't stick to glossy surfaces well. Dry it really well - overnight or speed up process with leaf blower (:

Prior to painting, wipe down with grease remover and allow to evaporate. Hit it with very light dust coats until adequately covered to your satisfaction, let it dry for 48 hours and then reinstall. I'd do the passenger side while you are at it if you think it will be mis-matched in any way.

SnakeByte
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm not familiar with your application, but I've done this recently on my '65 with great results. If it's easy to remove, it will be WAY EASIER to prep and paint it dissassembled from the car. I wouldn't use sandpaper if it has any grain/texture as you will just level the build and lose your grain. If the paint flaking areas are severe, you may have to try a "feather approach" with some sandpaper carefully around only the paint pitted areas if necessary. Generally, for plastic/fiberglass panels I just usually scrub it really good with scotch brite or green 3M pad with simple green/warm water. 00 Steel Wool also works well to get into the nooks and crannies. Get it as clean as you can and get a dull surface on there as paint won't stick to glossy surfaces well. Dry it really well - overnight or speed up process with leaf blower (:

Prior to painting, wipe down with grease remover and allow to evaporate. Hit it with very light dust coats until adequately covered to your satisfaction, let it dry for 48 hours and then reinstall. I'd do the passenger side while you are at it if you think it will be mis-matched in any way.

Hey, Great tips! Thanks much for the detailed post!.....:fork:

SnakeByte
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Looks like SteveO out at Tousley actully has the Red inserts for the 2003 10 Ani Verts for $29.00, so I'm taking the easy way out on this and just buying a set. Thanks anyway!

TF2v97SN
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Looks like SteveO out at Tousley actully has the Red inserts for the 2003 10 Ani Verts for $29.00, so I'm taking the easy way out on this and just buying a set. Thanks anyway!

funny, my red inserts are solid red plastic all the way through

SnakeByte
04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
funny, my red inserts are solid red plastic all the way through

I wiish mine were?