PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carburetor

Fredensborg
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok, soI have a Holley carb on my '73 Mach 1 351C. I am having a hell of a time getting it running. I know there is fuel getting to the carb cuz I pulled of the fuel line and had my daughter turn the key, gas squrted all over.
I did get it running last night, right after I pulled the gas line to verify gas was flowing,it came to life for a sec. Then I immedietly hooked up the gas line again and started it myself, it came to life and I let it idle for about ahalf hour.
This morning I couldnt get it going. I am not a great carb mind so I really have no idea what to do. I did notice that gas was leaking a tiny bit out of the front "fuel bowl"? I assumed this ment I had flooded it? This carb has been on this Mustang since I bought it about 7 years ago, and the car sits in the garage ALOT.(4 kids!)
I don't know how long gas stays "fresh" for, but the gas in it is from last summer, and like an idiot, I dind't put any stabilizer in it over the winter. Is there some type of carb cleaner spray anyone can recommend? Or do I need to take it off and have it re-built? If so, how much will that cost? I dont think I would be able to do a rebuild kit myself (unless it is pretty simple).
Thanks in advance for any help!

MadJack
07-02-2011, 07:41 PM
sounds like its time for a rebuild and some sta-bil. rebuilding a carb isnt hard, you need a place away from the kids thats well lit to pull it apart and clean and soak everything and to put it all together, its attention to detail more that anything.

FLSTCI71
07-02-2011, 08:12 PM
If you don't mind driving a little, I've got a guy here in the southern area who did the carb on my wife's 71 Mach 1 351C 4bbl. He's a 30+ year Ford wrench and he loves the old stuff.

Fredensborg
07-03-2011, 07:22 AM
sounds like its time for a rebuild and some sta-bil. rebuilding a carb isnt hard, you need a place away from the kids thats well lit to pull it apart and clean and soak everything and to put it all together, its attention to detail more that anything.

So, you think that this is something a Carb novice could undertake? What does it involve?

Fredensborg
07-03-2011, 07:27 AM
If you don't mind driving a little, I've got a guy here in the southern area who did the carb on my wife's 71 Mach 1 351C 4bbl. He's a 30+ year Ford wrench and he loves the old stuff.

How far south? Rochester? It might be difficult for me to make it down there, but if you recomend him maybe it would be worth it. Shoot me the name and number when you have time. I think I'm going to look into the rebuild myself first, and if I dont think I can do it, I might be road trippin' to your neck of the woods!

MadJack
07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
So, you think that this is something a Carb novice could undertake? What does it involve?

yes, with a general set of tools and some time in a well lit orginized area ,yes you can do it.

FLSTCI71
07-03-2011, 06:59 PM
How far south? Rochester? It might be difficult for me to make it down there, but if you recomend him maybe it would be worth it. Shoot me the name and number when you have time. I think I'm going to look into the rebuild myself first, and if I dont think I can do it, I might be road trippin' to your neck of the woods!

FatGuy wouldn't steer you wrong. If you do decide to bring the carb down here, "my guy" is actually Larry Arneson from Arneson Valley Auto in Spring Valley at 507-346-1998.

Fredensborg
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok, so I have a really dumb question....how do I tell what model Holley I have?? I cant find any identifing marks that say how many CFM it is or model nameor any thing like that. I am assuming I will need this information when I go to buy the rebuild kit. Anyone know how to tell what I have?

DNeinstadt
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
from http://www.holley.com/TechService/FAQ.asp:

QUESTION How do I find the "list" number on my carburetor?
ANSWER The list number for most performance and factory 2 and 4 barrel carburetors will be found stamped into the upper right hand corner of the airhorn or sometimes called the choke tower. On the 4150 HP models that do not have a choke tower the list number will be stamped into the mainbody behind the throttle linkage. This number is used to identify the carburetor and also used when needing service parts or renew kits.

Fredensborg
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Damn! Thanks alot Dan! I'm hoping to pick up a kit this weekend, or the next. I'll keep you posted. I gotta get my stang out of the garage, he needs to stretch his legs a bit!http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6e4e16c-0668-f4ce.jpg

DNeinstadt
07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree! :)

blckmgc
07-29-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.mopar1.us/carbs.html

The numbers are normally on the choke horn / top of the carb. Hopefully if you find the number it is listed in the link.

And I would say to try and take it off and at least take a look at the bowls and passages. Some carb cleaner can clean out if there is any varnish/gunk from sitting. Holleys overall are a pretty simple design, and if the car was running before with the carb, then something is probably plugged. For the cost of some gaskets, could at least take a look and see if you can find something. Gas will go bad, but should be able to get it running. If anything you can run a line from your pump to a red gallon can set at the front of the car with some fresh gas. Will get it up and running.

Just my two cents. I am definitely not the greatest in the world, but been playing under the tree in the backyard for a long time. Also not sure were you are at, but if you are close to Eagan and want some help, let me know.

Fredensborg
07-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Ya, I found the list number right where you said. I'm going to go to a NAPA or O'reily today and see if they have the kit I need in stock. Is there some other store that anyone can recommend for getting rebuild kits? I live up by Zimmerman.Otherwise I found it on Jegs.com for 25$. I have spoken with a few people who have done it before and they assure me (as FatGuy did) that it's a pretty simple operation. So hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

Fredensborg
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Ordered the kit over the weekend from Jegs for 25$ plus shipping (NAPA wanted 69$ for the one they had!) Fed ex says it shoud be here by Wednesday!! Very exite!! While at NAPA i did see a big 1 gallon paint can of some type of carb soaking solution?? Anyone ever use it? Should I? it was 20$. I did buy a can of carb cleaner spray, and I have a ok set of tools, it there any special stuff I will need?

I'm starting to get the itch to do one of these!http://www.youtube.com/embed/UeE3ea9uWXE

Fredensborg
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok here's a pic of my disassembly. Is this enough? I think I may have to tear into a couple more little spots to change o rings and stuff, but this should be good enough as far as for cleaning right? I'll go get some soaking solution for the big body parts and let them soak over night, everything else I should be able to clean with a can of spray and a toothbrush maybe? If it looks like I am doing anything foolish let me know!

MadJack
08-04-2011, 05:26 AM
looks good, when i do carbs, if it can come off i take it off, i usually take a few pics since my memory isnt the best and let them soak.
the big thing is having it where kids wont just grap something lol

Fredensborg
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Lol, well I have managed to keep the kids away from my pile o' parts so far, knock on wood. But I do have (yet another) question. As you can see in my pics, my old power valve ( on the left) is stamped with a 4, 5. My new power valve (on the right) is stamped with a 6, 5. Does this mean I have a wrong part? Other than the numbers they look identical. The other pic is from the instruction sheet, it refers to them as "identification numbers" and something about vacuum level. Is there any reason why the previous owner would have wanted to use one with less vacuum? I have the parts soaking in some purple power so I have time to figure it out.....

MadJack
08-05-2011, 05:18 AM
i wouldnt be too concered.

Jwrobber
08-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I think this website can help to explain the power valve situation. http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428/HolleyInfo2.html
The motor may have something that causes the vacuum to be slightly low. This would make the power valve open too soon leading to flooding.

Fredensborg
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the link! It does have a bigger cam in it, I just don't know the specs. Bigger cams effect vacuum correct? I think I have a vacuum gage at home, I'll just put the new one on (6.5) and check the level. If it needs to be swapped I'll get a new 4.5 or whatever the formula says I need.

Fredensborg
08-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, the carb is rebuilt and installed! It even works! kinda (see my new thread :angryfire:). I think I can put this thread to bed! Thanks for all the help everyone!:worship2: