PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems :(

Fredensborg
08-06-2011, 04:39 PM
After spending the last 3 nights rebuilding the carb on my Mach 1, I now have electrical issues and cant start the God damned car!! I am about ready to eat a bullet. :pissed:
I got the carb put back on last night and had it running. I adjusted the fuel levels in the fuel bowels and I was starting to work the idle screws. The whole time I was adjusting things it died a few times because of not enough fuel, or low idle. The last time it died, I went to restart and cranked it for awhile but it wouldent go, so I went to be figureing I would finish tomorrow. Well this morning it woudnt even turn over!!:banghead: All I get is a clicking sound from the Voltage Regulator. I got a new one of those from NAPA, same shit. Got a new Solenoid, same shit. Tried to jump it from the Mountaineer, same shit. The alternator is only a few years old, with almost no use. The battery is only 4 weeks old. I even tried smacking the starter with a hammer!! NOTHING WORKS!!! The next thing I will do is probably take off the starter and have it tested??? :shrug: UUUGGGGGGGHHHH!! :drink:

Fredensborg
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, I did get him going again. The battery was WAY low (I'm a retard I know) but I am still unable to keep him running. I put the battery charger on and let it charge for about 4 hours. After that, the same crap, he would turn over but not start. Then I flipped the switch to the 50 amp engine start position and it started right up! As long as I had the charger on the 50 amp setting he would run, but if I switched it back to the normal charging position, it would just turn over and do nothing else. Obviosly I am getting no spark in the charging position, but I am getting it in the 50 Amp spot. I'm leaning twords alternator at this point, but I am not really sure, anybody got anything else?:shrug:

Warrlac
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I've had these kinds of problems with the 4.6 SOHC in my Dad's Towncar. Takes a short time to basically K-I-L-L the battery. I would look at the voltage regulator and the Alternator.

Let me know what you find out!

Warren

No1Ford
08-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Maybe he is a she? Lol, my money is on the battery.

p51mstg
08-08-2011, 06:44 AM
A Walmart socket set is smarter than I am, when it comes to stuff like this. But, in 1973 you could run an engine without a battery, as long as you could start it... correct?

If that's correct, then what powers the ignition? I think that's where I'd look.

Fredensborg
08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Maybe he is a she? Lol, my money is on the battery.

Oh no, he IS a he. Lol

Fredensborg
08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
A Walmart socket set is smarter than I am, when it comes to stuff like this. But, in 1973 you could run an engine without a battery, as long as you could start it... correct?

If that's correct, then what powers the ignition? I think that's where I'd look.

As in the coil right? I'm thinking you're right. The battery is good, the starter is good, plug wires are newer. The only things I can think it would be are Ditributer cap or Coil, right? Sometimes I can get it running no problem, other times it will just crank and crank and crank with no spark! Sometimes after Iget him running , it dies and will not start. I dont know, I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. If still learning how to wrench on carson the fly, so if I am missing something obvious, let my dumb ass know!!

Fredensborg
08-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Well I put in a new coil, nothin'. Distributor cap?

---

Jwrobber
08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
If you want to test the cap, just pull a spark plug and wire. Hold the threads of the plug to the motor and see if it sparks, or just use a spark tester. If the car still has a points style distributor, you may want to check their adjustment as well.

Fredensborg
08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Well, a friend of mine from work who has a much better understanding of electrical theory than I, came over and helped me figure it out. I wasent getting any spark (duh!) at the cap, and there was no power going through the control module with the key in the on position. So I am hoping that it is the control module. I know its not the battery, starter, selenoid, voltage regulator, or coil because they are all brand spanking new (or pretty close). If it's not the control module then this will be my last post because I will kill myself in the garage if it doesnt work tomorow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Fredensborg
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, so I had my head in the noose and was just about to jump from the stool when I figured I'd give it one more shot. So I know I am getting juice to the distributor from the coil because the end of the wire that goes to the cap has voltage. However I am getting no spark out of the cap, so by the power of deduction does this mean bad cap? Attached is a pic of the inside of the cap, it looks like there is some uneven marks on the points, is thus bad or normal? I tried a different control module to no avail, if it's not the cap where next? Plugs?