PDA

View Full Version : Probs with an Explorer

MonkeyGein
08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
so my friend's exploder has be running rough, burning thru gas and threw some codes in his face.
1998 w/4.0
misfire cyln 4
misfire cyln 6
bank 1 lean
bank 2 lean

what does the "bank 1/2" mean?

my scanner is showing the MAF getting a reading that changes with moar air flow. what is a normal MAF reading?
Maf visibly looks clean
changed the fuel filter

i'm thinking that the comb of the codes are significant and wiill be able to narrow down the cause of the problem quicker/easier.

thanls

mrsbudderigs
08-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Oxygen sensors. Past that, no clue.

Budderigs
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
start by checking those two plugs and wires. then maybe coil.

how many miles? when was its last full service-tuneup? sohc or ohv? I dont remember if they changed in 98 or 99.

MadJack
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
yeppers, start with the basics, is it plugged in lol all connections good on plug wires and such .test the ohms on the plug wires, check condition and gap on plugs . the o2 sensors sound bad for sure.

TF2v97SN
08-13-2011, 09:49 PM
you guys are all wrong, you have a vacume leak from something, repair vacume leak then diag missfires, upper intake gaskets are very common to leak! i could see one 02 sensor being bad but not two......

MonkeyGein
08-13-2011, 10:17 PM
wouldn't it just say it was an O2 sensor if it was an O2?

the plugs and wire seem fine..... or at least don't seem like an immediate problem right now. there was a change in how it ran when i disconected the plug wires on those cyln.

i read about the gasket leak. i suppose that's a cheap fix but time consuming.

HELLFYR
08-15-2011, 11:10 AM
you guys are all wrong, you have a vacume leak from something, repair vacume leak then diag missfires, upper intake gaskets are very common to leak! i could see one 02 sensor being bad but not two......

This... sounds like unmetered air to me.

FORDSVTPARTS
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM

^^^^^^^^^
What he said, intake gasket leaks are very common on those and can cause lean codes due to unmetered air.