PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Ford Custom 300 2-dr

ski_doo1200
08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Hoping someone can help answer a few questions. I'm beginning to restore a 1959 Ford Custom 300 2-dr with the 64f body style.

I ordered a coupel new rocker panels, but they don't seem to match up with what's currently on the car. The rocker face on the care now is about 2 1/4" wide. The rocker facing on the new rockers I have is about 1 3/4". I was told that these are the correct rocker panels.

I'm trying to figure out what the correct rocker width for this particular vehicle truly is. I was hoping somebody out here might have a 59 Ford, or know somebody else who does, that could measure it up for me?

Thanks,
Jim.

FLSTCI71
08-24-2011, 07:06 PM
We've got a 59 Ford 2-dr post at my mom's place. I don't know what model it is, but it's a plain Jane car with a three-on-the-tree. Unfortunately, I don't think measuring it would help as there isn't much of the rockers left. She's pretty rusty. You're welcome to keep it in mind though, if you get desperate....

Just had a thought (that didn't die of loneliness), are the 57-59 rockers all the same? I've got a 57 2-dr post at my place. Mine is a Model 70A. I don't know that compares to a 59 Model 64F? Mine was originally a six banger three-on-the-tree car and, like our 59, is a real plain Jane. That might be an option.

ski_doo1200
08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
We've got a 59 Ford 2-dr post at my mom's place. I don't know what model it is, but it's a plain Jane car with a three-on-the-tree. Unfortunately, I don't think measuring it would help as there isn't much of the rockers left. She's pretty rusty. You're welcome to keep it in mind though, if you get desperate....

Just had a thought (that didn't die of loneliness), are the 57-59 rockers all the same? I've got a 57 2-dr post at my place. Mine is a Model 70A. I don't know that compares to a 59 Model 64F? Mine was originally a six banger three-on-the-tree car and, like our 59, is a real plain Jane. That might be an option.

I'm pretty much at desperate now. The 59's all look so much alike, I would think the rockers on a 59 Ford Custom or Fairlane would almost have to be the same. I don't know the difference in all the body styles either.

Do you think you'd be able to get a measurement for me? The car I have is also the plain-jane - 223 cid, 3-on-the-tree. Lot's of chrome, though, and she'll sparkle nicely if and when I can get it fixed up.

Any suggestions on toe pan braces either? The drivers side is rusted right in half. It looks like the bottom half of it attached to the frame, but it's gone so I'm guessing. Can't find any picture of underneath of an intact car to give me an idea.

Yeah, this is really going to be a project.

Thanks again,
Jim.

FLSTCI71
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I can try to get a measurement the next time I am at my mom's, but I am not sure when that will be. Let me know if your catalog, or website, says 57's and 59's are the same. It would be a lot easier for me to do some measuring in my shop as that is where the 57 is sitting.

No advice on the toe pan braces. It's not a Mustang, so there's not much aftermarket out there. You pretty much have to compare both sides and start fabricating. What are you doing for running gear?

ski_doo1200
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
It "appears" that I was sent the wrong rockers. Returned them and ordered a pair from Mac's. They measured one up for me right there and it sounds like what I need. Should know soon. Thanks for the response.
Jim.

FLSTCI71
08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Good to hear. What are your running gear plans? Anything out of the ordinary or are you going stock?