PDA

View Full Version : Mustang advice please

robl110
09-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Sell or not? That's what I have been debating with myself since last winter. The tough part of the decision is I have a very clean, low mileage and tastefully modified Fox. Foxes are what I grew up with and have always loved. The problem is I don't fit in the car. It's uncomfortable for me to drive because I have to slouch so that my head does not hit the ceiling and I have very little leg room. I will never be able to road course or drag the car because I don't fit with a helmet and my knees get in the way of turning. The other con is it's not even in my top 3 of my favorite foxes, 93 Cobra, 86 GT T-Top and Notch back. The last con is I am stuck in a townhouse with a single car garage. This large of a toy takes up a lot of space when you don't have much of it to spare. When I bought the car it was by far the best deal and cleanest fox for sale locally. I certainly don't regret buying this Mustang. I am just trying to decide if it's time to move on. Future plan, like 5 years from now, would be to buy a newer 5.0.

So car guys and gals any thoughts? Anyone been in a similar situation where it was tough to decide if it was time to sell?

Thanks, Rob :shrug:

N8's98GT
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I've considered selling mine a few times but lately I've really been considering it. I've spent countless hours working on it, have owned it for 8 years, and have spent probably close to $10,000 in upgrading it, and it's at best a mid-high 13 second car :(

Now there is minor clear coat failure and likely needs a new paint job, it needs a new rear main seal, and if I keep it I'll probably build a new engine for it. When I sit down and think about it I'm looking at likely another $10 grand for new paint, a new engine (including ported heads), etc... all said and done I'd be lucky to have a low 13 sec/high 12 sec car with new paint. From a practical standpoint, it certainly doesn't make much financial sense to do this. I'd be much better off selling it for 4K, buying an '05+ 3V and having an overall better platform and engine to start with AND I wouldn't have any down time at the paint shop or during the engine build up.

On the other hand, my car is paid for, I know every thing about it and can fix any problems that come up, and I love the way it looks and get real pleasure out of driving it.

Anyways, I completely understand your predicament, and in the long run I'll probably end up keeping my car. My 2 year old son loves it and asks if he can go for a ride almost daily and it is the first car I bought with my own money....

MadJack
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
i'd suggest looking into ways to make it so you can fit, and see if the price tag is worth it. also the addiction we have will never make finanial sence. a guy has to have a toy, and if it takes up the only stall then so be it. i know ive thought about putting my car up for sale anext summer, but my wife talks me out of it everytime. also my daughter loves it.

soulfisher
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
In reference to FatGuyPerformance's suggestion, here is a $60 solution. 4 1/2" should be good http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-seattrack-kit-7904.html

robl110
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I sent the thread link to my wife and this is the response I got.

“Looks like we are keeping it LOL.
1) already paid for
2) Jacob will probably love it
3) You need a toy/never make financial sense LOL
That is what I got from the thread.”

Like she said we’ll be keeping the Mustang. The kid factor is what really got me. Jacob is too young right now to know about the car but I do have the Doodler’s pic up on his wall. Plus the wife says if I sell the Mustang I have to live with the pic on his wall, I can’t take it down. The constant reminder would drive me nuts. Thanks for the replies. Maybe we will see you guys at some shows next year as a family.

Soulfisher, thanks for the link. I already have a set and they made my situation worse. They fix the problem of leg room but reduce the amount of head room by an inch. If I could find some aftermarket seats/tracks that sat lower and were thinner than the stock seat I would buy them in a heartbeat. I talked with Corbeau but they could not tell me if I would gain any room with their seats.

MadJack
09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
wifes for some reason usually make sense lol

66gtk
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Get a convertible

FLSTCI71
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
If I could find some aftermarket seats/tracks that sat lower and were thinner than the stock seat I would buy them in a heartbeat.

http://jasonlangdon.com/seatrisers/ :shrug: (http://jasonlangdon.com/seatrisers/)

robl110
09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
http://jasonlangdon.com/seatrisers/ :shrug: (http://jasonlangdon.com/seatrisers/)

Thanks Mike. I will give them a call.

I read today that the factory track has a pre marked spot to drill out to move the seat back an inch. I am also going to go see a guy around the corner that does metal fab as a hobby. I would be cool with a lowering the stock seat in a permanent spot.

HELLFYR
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks Mike. I will give them a call.

I read today that the factory track has a pre marked spot to drill out to move the seat back an inch. I am also going to go see a guy around the corner that does metal fab as a hobby. I would be cool with a lowering the stock seat in a permanent spot.

Lower seat pan. Guys rebuild those panels all the time on the older cars due to rust out can't imagine it would be that different for a fox.
Just a thought.
Likely wouldn't cost too much either, yank interior yourself, then hire out sawzall + some extra metal + welding it all back up.
Have thought several times about doing it in my car... but can't bring myself to cut it up. :)

Rod

robl110
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Lower seat pan. Guys rebuild those panels all the time on the older cars due to rust out can't imagine it would be that different for a fox.
Just a thought.
Likely wouldn't cost too much either, yank interior yourself, then hire out sawzall + some extra metal + welding it all back up.
Have thought several times about doing it in my car... but can't bring myself to cut it up. :)

Rod

Sawzall sounds scary :chainsaw: . Definetly an option to look into if I can't get a custom seat bracket made.

Rod, your a tall guy, how do you fit in your car with a helmet? I know in my 99 Cobra I didn't fit much better than my Fox.

robl110
09-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Could have a custom headliner made. Have it done similar to the new Chevy trucks that have the indent above the driver.

sonicx
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Rod, your a tall guy, how do you fit in your car with a helmet? I know in my 99 Cobra I didn't fit much better than my Fox.

I am pushing 6 1" and w/ a helmet it barely clears. I got maybe two fingers between helmet & roof. lol

HELLFYR
10-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Don't fit too bad in mine. Seat is all the way down, but NOT all the way back. Because I instead recline the seat considerably to lower my head in the car.
If I had the seat all the way back too, I'd never reach 5th gear.

robl110
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
We'll see what this winter brings. I will explore aftermarket seats/tracks and fabrication.

p51mstg
10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't fit too bad in mine. Seat is all the way down, but NOT all the way back. Because I instead recline the seat considerably to lower my head in the car.
If I had the seat all the way back too, I'd never reach 5th gear.

I've been driving Mustangs for quite a while, and had forgotten that I do the same thing, Rod. In fact, it was the only way I could drive my very first car - a 1977 Renault R12 :eek7:.

Wow, that brings back memories.... what a CAR that was!:hehe:

Back when I was shopping to trade in my 86 Mustang GT for something a bit newer, I looked at Thunderbirds. That was maybe around 96 or so - before the T-Bird was cancelled the first time. In spite of being a bigger car, I had a LOT less headroom in it than a Mustang. I even rented one when I went to Edwards AFB back then, and had to stick my head out of the sunroof - there was no other way for me to remain vertical in that car. Needless to say, I had to let the Super Coupe pass and get another Stang.

robl110
10-17-2011, 07:48 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/robl110/IMG_20111016_163056.jpg

Todd at TrackTime lent me his Corbeau A4 demo. He also found me a low profile seat bracket. I will be able to order the A4 with an extra inch shaved off the cushion. Only issue I have found so far is that I had to mount the low profile bracket on top of my seat extenders which kind of defeats the lower profile. To mount the low profile bracket to the floor I would need to get out the big hammer and put a nice dent in the trans tunnel. Not sure I really want to dent my tunnel. I may try getting the bolts started and see if I can snug it down. There may be just enough give in the carpet/pad to be able to bolt it down tight. As its mounted now it has given me enough room so I don't have to slouch but not enough to put on a helmet. Oh and people that use race seats must be very skinny because with a 36" waist it's a very snug fit =)

sonicx
10-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Rob, you need to order a Corbeau WIDE edition ppl over 36" waist. You have a standard in the pic.... only up to waist size 36.

robl110
10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Have you ever scene a wide in a Fox? From what I have read they don't fit.

sonicx
10-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Have you ever scene a wide in a Fox? From what I have read they don't fit.

I don't now about the A4, you prob right though. But I will said 100% that Corbeau (CR1, LG1) will fit all 1979+ Mustangs with the correct seat brackets (sold separately).

American Muscle sells them:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-cr1-seats-wide.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-lg1-seats-wide.html

robl110
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't now about the A4, you prob right though. But I will said 100% that Corbeau (CR1, LG1) will fit all 1979+ Mustangs with the correct seat brackets (sold separately).

American Muscle sells them:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-cr1-seats-wide.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-lg1-seats-wide.html

I am guessing if the cr1 and lg1 fit then the A4 would too. Comments I found on the forums said the wide can fit but it rubs the door and center console.

I was used to the snug fit by the time I got to work. It was actually a lot of fun in the clover leaf. I was able to hit the corner pretty hard without having to brace myself.

sonicx
10-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I am guessing if the cr1 and lg1 fit then the A4 would too. Comments I found on the forums said the wide can fit but it rubs the door and center console.

I was used to the snug fit by the time I got to work. It was actually a lot of fun in the clover leaf. I was able to hit the corner pretty hard without having to brace myself.

HAHA see that maybe, but I don't see an issue with it like you said. Rather have it uselessly rubbing the door then not being comfortable in a seat ya know.

robl110
10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
HAHA see that maybe, but I don't see an issue with it like you said. Rather have it uselessly rubbing the door then not being comfortable in a seat ya know.

After driving home yesterday I totally agree. The standard is just to tight in the waist and my shoulders are outside the shoulder support. If I make the purchase it will be black cloth A4 wide with an extra inch shaved off the seat cushion. I am still not convinced these seats are the answer. A part of me still thinks me and fox bodies are not meant to be. Even if these seats give me enough head room I am thinking it will create other issues from me sitting so low and my knees still being up at the steering wheel. I have a feeling sitting like that will cause back issue too.

sonicx
10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
After driving home yesterday I totally agree. The standard is just to tight in the waist and my shoulders are outside the shoulder support. If I make the purchase it will be black cloth A4 wide with an extra inch shaved off the seat cushion. I am still not convinced these seats are the answer. A part of me still thinks me and fox bodies are not meant to be. Even if these seats give me enough head room I am thinking it will create other issues from me sitting so low and my knees still being up at the steering wheel. I have a feeling sitting like that will cause back issue too.

Another option (pricey) is a custom made race seat specific for your body type and model of car. What has Todd told ya? He's pretty good about advice. Otherwise I'd direct ya to moddedmustangs.com or mustangforums.com and posting up on the FOX threads. There's some serious dudes on both sites whom prob have had your issue before.

robl110
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Another option (pricey) is a custom made race seat specific for your body type and model of car. What has Todd told ya? He's pretty good about advice. Otherwise I'd direct ya to moddedmustangs.com or mustangforums.com and posting up on the FOX threads. There's some serious dudes on both sites whom prob have had your issue before.

I have not talked to Todd since picking up the stuff on Saturday. I searched the forums you suggested and then through up a post on each, Thanks.

sonicx
10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I have not talked to Todd since picking up the stuff on Saturday. I searched the forums you suggested and then through up a post on each, Thanks.

No problem, anytime. Hope your able to come up with something for your issue. I can't believe your the only one whom has had issues of this sorts before.

robl110
10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
No problem, anytime. Hope your able to come up with something for your issue. I can't believe your the only one whom has had issues of this sorts before.

I have only found a few threads. Looks like most people just deal with the issue or cut there seat brackets or get aftermarket seats. Probably no real win win way to solve the issue. The A4 will probably be my best bet. Its just hard to cough up $1000 for seats. Plus I don't have room to store the stock seats.

Doodler
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I know this is a old thread by now. But Danny from DB Performance's brother Brandon is a big guy and just as tall if not a little taller. He races a notch. Might be worth it to give him a call and see what Brandon is doing...

robl110
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I know this is a old thread by now. But Danny from DB Performance's brother Brandon is a big guy and just as tall if not a little taller. He races a notch. Might be worth it to give him a call and see what Brandon is doing...

Thanks I will give Danny a call. Danny used to own my car so chances are Brandon has sat in the drivers seat a time or two. I am guessing Brandon bolts a race seat to the floor but its worth a call.

When I put the stock seats back in I did not reinstall the track extenders and that gained me back an inch. Makes it ok for driving around town but it would still be a tough fit with a helmet.

robl110
12-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Update:
I will post a for sale ad in the spring. It just makes no sense to keep this car and selling it has been weighing on my mind too much. I need/want the space in the garage for more important stuff. Like my son's toys. Between selling the Mustang and Jeep I will have a nice chunk of cash to put towards a newer family rig. The wife and I have agreed upon a 2nd or 3rd gen Expedition. There are plenty of fun bolt on mods I can keep myself entertained with on a Expedition until I get out of the townhouse and have room for a 2011 5.0. I will probably get a 05-06 2nd gen because it makes the most financial sense. I can sell the Mustang, Jeep and take a little out of savings to pay cash. That way I don't have to hardly touch my get out of the townhouse fund.

Keeping a car because my son may love it is a silly reason. My buddy told me the other day that Jacob will know my passion for cars whether I have a Mustang or not. That really struck home. Plus that same day my wife reminded me he just wants to spend time with his dad. Doesn't matter if it's in a Mustang or taking dad's big truck.

Anyways I will post up a detailed ad in the spring. No point in trying to sell in now. If you run into someone wanting to buy a fox in the middle of winter send me a pm.

MadJack
12-27-2011, 03:11 AM
sorry to hear this man, but hey you otta do wut you feel is right.

robl110
12-27-2011, 08:45 AM
sorry to hear this man, but hey you otta do wut you feel is right.

Its really not a huge deal. I have had a few Mustangs and I know I will get another down the road. The one I would like to still have is my 99 Cobra I had when the wife and I were dating. Many found memories of driving from IA on weekends to visit her up in the cities.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/robl110/IMG_0070.jpg

DNeinstadt
12-27-2011, 02:08 PM
That's an '01 Cobra...?

DNeinstadt
12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Or at least a '01 Cobra rear bumper 'n wheels...

robl110
12-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Or at least a '01 Cobra rear bumper 'n wheels...

:cool2: