PDA

View Full Version : sticker removal

ShadowGT04
11-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I got an email from American muscle the other day and I saw a new graphics kit to look like the super snake graphics. Im kind of thinking about ordering it because I like how it finishes off a car and it looks sweet.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/super-snake-stripes-matte.html

My question to all is I currently have a graphic sticker on the hood of my car and part of the rear bumper how would I remove that so I can apply the new one. Any info you might have is appreciated.

HELLFYR
11-26-2011, 08:08 PM
hair dryer, work from an edge and little by little lift it off. Gonna get hot on the fingers, so wear some leather gloves.

May have some sticky crap left at the end... lots of options for that, safest is simple Dawn and water.

ShadowGT04
11-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I was looking online and saw the hair dryer part but people were wondering on the removal of the glue if any was left. Some people said to use tar and bug remover but I think the dawn is a better idea its probably the safest way. Thanks Rod.

sonicx
11-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Neat graphics there man. Do it, love to see something like it. Don't think I ever have. As for removing the glue try using windex, or any other cleaner with ammonia to help break down the glue. My bud (the guys who owns that tint shop told me) as its the same type of glue.

1991lx
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I always use a hair dryer and fingernails working from the side and peeling/heating slowly.

As far as clean up. I use gasoline and a wash rag in a well ventilated area. Rubbing the glue loose in light circular motion. Then clean it up with soap and water.

HELLFYR
11-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Just be cautious about fingernails. Fingernails are like sandpaper, you scratch at something more than a little, you will mar the clear coat. I use them to lift the first corner, then attempt to do everything else without scratching at it. Go slow with plenty of heat.

konfusion
11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
hi,
Sweet I like it alot. Use the hair dryer like everyone else said, but when you use either the dawn soap or the gasoline it will take off any wax also...

HAULNSS
12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I would try the heat and slowly pulling the sticker method. You may have to experiment with where to aim the heat for the best results. Usually, getting the panel warmer than the sticker works good as the glue releases before the sticker itself will stretch and become brittle. Be careful on the plastic bumper so it doesn't lift the paint, though. There might be some Youtube vids on this also. :think:

Go to a body shop / paint supply store and get 3M Adhesive remover for the residue. Dawn isn't strong enough for glue residue and gasoline just sounds like a bad idea due to the flammability :flamethrower: issues. :nervous: Goo Gone may work, but always test in an inconspicious spot for any paint damage.

I'd also polish the area to make sure it is smooth and perfect before putting on any new stickers.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary,
Randy