PDA

View Full Version : PHONES

HELLFYR
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Well, my phone contract is just about up, and looking at getting a new smart phone.

Looking for recommendations and WHY it's your recommendation. :)

My current phone is a Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7 - Mango.
Not bad, but the user interface just isn't that great.

I'm not a big fan of Mac products, so have been looking at the various Android phones on the market.
We are with AT&T.

Let's hear it!

N8's98GT
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I've got a LG G2x and I love this phone... unfortunately, I had to send back 4... I repeat 4 defective phones because they would randomly power off and required removal of the battery to correct the issue. I finally have one that works and it's worked incredibly well for 4 months now. I really like the screen, user interface (IIRC it uses stock Android operating system), and the design... it is quite thin which is nice. I think my favorite feature is the HDMI port. I can plug it in to my LCD TV and stream HD movies on netflix... that's bad a** considering it's just a little phone doing it.

My brothers both have HTC Sensations, and they have nothing but good things to say about these phones. In fact most people I know that have HTC cellular products rave about the quality and reliability of them. That said, any reason you wouldn't want an iPhone? The battery life alone is reason to buy one. In addition, there are so many products that are compatable with the iPhone... alarm clock docking stations, car stereo plug ins, household receiver plug ins, etc...

prostang92
01-27-2012, 12:42 PM
At what level do phones become smart?

LadyCobra
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
That said, any reason you wouldn't want an iPhone? The battery life alone is reason to buy one. In addition, there are so many products that are compatable with the iPhone... alarm clock docking stations, car stereo plug ins, household receiver plug ins, etc...

I've mentioned this and he always immediately says no. We have quite a few Apple products (or I should say kids and I do) and he just doesn't go for it. I have an iPhone (3GS) that I'll be upgrading to a 4S in late March most likely. Unless I get more info that the 5 is coming out this Spring.

notnss
01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket > *

N8's98GT
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I've mentioned this and he always immediately says no. We have quite a few Apple products (or I should say kids and I do) and he just doesn't go for it. I have an iPhone (3GS) that I'll be upgrading to a 4S in late March most likely. Unless I get more info that the 5 is coming out this Spring.

To each their own I guess... If I were in the market for a phone or tablet right now, I'd probably find myself in a similar position as Rod. Despite having zero objective reasoning I'd still probably avoid Apple products. I guess I have the same knee jerk reaction and attitude towards Apple products, as I do towards the Prius, tree huggers, and people who wear the blue tooth devices. :shrug:

notnss
01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I hope the iPhone 5 comes to TMobile, I'd get it in a heartbeat

HELLFYR
01-27-2012, 03:22 PM
At what level do phones become smart?

August 29th, 1997

HELLFYR
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Like the input so far!

In my research to this point I'm looking at the HTC Inspire (the Sensation is no longer an option with AT&T) as the top contender. I really like the fact the memory is expandable to something like 36G just with a simple mini card. Can't store applications on that card without "root"ing the phone, but it can be used to store anything data-wise. Pix, Vids, Music, etc...

The other thing not mentioned, is being a developer I like the "OPEN LICENSE" for developing apps for the Android OS.
Supposedly there is a .Net development interface available (which would be really nice), but to date I haven't found it.
Both Windows Phone and IPhone have yearly licensing requirements just to be able to post a program... even if only for your own use.
Dumb IMO.

Rod

F8LBITE
01-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Sorry, I can't help you. ( big fan of Mac products )

sonicx
01-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I have Tmobile. I use a Samsung S I I galaxy. I'm happy with it, like a pocket computer. Good battery life, clear graphics, ease of use, fast.

Dazed1
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Droid it has an expandable SD drive along with onboard memory. Internal storage is showing 340MB used 6.2GB free and the SD card 186MB used 1.6GB free

The Newer versions are even crazier!

Mike

HAULNSS
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
The wife and I both have the HTC Inspire and it works pretty good for what we need them for. The batteries that came with the phone didn't last too long, but after some warranty issues they gave us new batteries that work great and last much longer than the original ones.

If you ever want to take the phone for a test drive, let me know.

Randy

HELLFYR
01-31-2012, 12:18 PM
The input has been great...

Upon further research, I've decided to "delay" my switch.
Sounds like the Google Nexus may be headed to AT&T towards the end of March when their exclusivity contract with Verizon expires.
Seeing that that is the "home" for Android, you'd likely be guaranteed future upgradability.

Research into the Samsung Inspire has revealed that short of "rooting" the phone, it likely will NOT receive the ICS (Android 4) update.

Still digging as I find time, I just don't want to work myself into a corner. :)

Rod

notnss
01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
The input has been great...

Upon further research, I've decided to "delay" my switch.
Sounds like the Google Nexus may be headed to AT&T towards the end of March when their exclusivity contract with Verizon expires.
Seeing that that is the "home" for Android, you'd likely be guaranteed future upgradability.

Research into the Samsung Inspire has revealed that short of "rooting" the phone, it likely will NOT receive the ICS (Android 4) update.

Still digging as I find time, I just don't want to work myself into a corner. :)

Rod

The SII on AT&T is supposed to get ICS according to Samsung today, but if the Nexus is coming then I'd definitely wait for it. Having plain Android and updates direct from Google is a huge plus.

Of course if you want a massive screen (5.3") then the Galaxy Note will be coming next month:

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-note-unveiled-5-3-high-res-hd-display-1-4-ghz-dual-core-and-more-20110901/

notnss
01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Link on ICS update for the SII and Note:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57368795-1/samsungs-galaxy-note-and-s-ii-getting-ice-cream-sandwich-soon/?tag=posts

HELLFYR
02-01-2012, 11:29 AM
The SII on AT&T is supposed to get ICS according to Samsung today, but if the Nexus is coming then I'd definitely wait for it. Having plain Android and updates direct from Google is a huge plus.

Of course if you want a massive screen (5.3") then the Galaxy Note will be coming next month:

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-note-unveiled-5-3-high-res-hd-display-1-4-ghz-dual-core-and-more-20110901/

Hadn't seen the Note before, that looks really promising. Sort of a hybrid between mobile and tablet. Hmm... Feb 19th @ AT&T