PDA

View Full Version : Help: Front Brake Kit

sonicx
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
As some of you know, right before Car Craft I put on new rotors, hawk pads, and braided lines. Within the last week or so my front wheel has been squeeling (I should have got it checked out sooner) as I found out that my left caliper is siezing up and now Im going to have to replace both front sides. (Just to play it safe)

So Now I am back in the same situation I was during the summer. What to do? STOCK OEM parts or Cobra Upgrade

If I was todo the cobra brakes would they be able to clear my 17 inch stock rims? (see below)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6824569719_d9e112e66a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382191@N06/6824569719/)
Stock Rims (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382191@N06/6824569719/)

I also have those summer rims but there 18's and they should be okay.

The brake kit I was looking at was: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-2300K/1994-04-Mustang-Sve-13-Inch-Front-Cobra-Style-Brake-Kit

Otherwise I was looking at going with stock calipers:

http://www.partsgeek.com/m353dy6-ford-mustang-brake-caliper.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=WP&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Bing&gb=pp&utm_term=2003-2004+Ford+Mustang+Brake+Caliper+PBR+Front+Right+03-04+Ford+Brake+Caliper

http://www.partsgeek.com/gk51nrl-ford-mustang-brake-caliper.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=WP&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Bing&gb=pp&utm_term=2003-2004+Ford+Mustang+Brake+Caliper+PBR+Front+Left+03-04+Ford+Brake+Caliper

Does anyone know of any cheaper places or what they'd do if they were me? I just dunno what I should do expect it's gotta be done soon here.

Thanks

N8's98GT
02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey Jason, the 13" PBR kit will clear just fine with your 17" stock wheels. I upgraded a few years ago to the same kit and ended up buying it from a place called buyfordracing.com. It came with 13" brembo rotors, and the Mach 1 red calipers with the running pony. IIRC the kit was only $250 at the time. The mounting location didn't change either and I used my stock bolts. While I had everything apart I also upgraded to SS braided brake lines. Not sure if you said you already have braided lines or not... if you do make sure they're compatable with the 13" PBR kit. I think the fittings changed a few times over the years.

FWIW after upgrading mine I noticed a tremendous improvement over stock, especially because the Aero SN95 cars came with heavy iron single piston calipers. Good luck and if you need anything give me a call... you're also welcome to use my garage and tools once the parts arrive.

Sent from my cubicle via tapatalk

DNeinstadt
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree, get the Cobra/13" upgrade. They will fit with 17's as most newer Cobra's are 17's..

Dan

sonicx
02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Would that be a safer option? Because I was also thinking just to replace the left caliper, rotor, and then get a new pair of pads. Thoughts?????

PS: Nate, they discontinued those completely at the beginning of last summer. Unless you but used or brembo that set by lmr is it.

N8's98GT
02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Christ $550 is a lot of money... do you know what's wrong with your stock caliper? There's really no reason to replace both. One single reman unit would work just fine IMO. How do you know its seized? Its fairly common for the rear caliper pins to seize but I haven't heard of the front pistons seizing very often. Does your car pull left when coasting or right when braking?

sonicx
02-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Christ $550 is a lot of money... do you know what's wrong with your stock caliper? There's really no reason to replace both. One single reman unit would work just fine IMO. How do you know its seized? Its fairly common for the rear caliper pins to seize but I haven't heard of the front pistons seizing very often. Does your car pull left when coasting or right when braking?

Suprisingly I've seen it happen twice.... both on new edge mustangs too lol. The caliper is gripping the rotor and it's grinding. It's squeeling whenever I tap the brakes and apply braking. I went into TIRES PLUS the yesterday to get an opinion.

And that's why I am asking, if I can just get new front pads, a new left rotor & caliper.... good to go? Else, i'd cough up money if need be for new stuff.

N8's98GT
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
You should be fine with one new caliper, one rotor, and a set of front pads. I did a quick search and O'Reilly sells the calipers for $54.99 + a $45 core charge, otherwise the cheapest place I saw was Rock Auto for $40 with a $50 core charge. It's kind of nice though to get them locally as then you don't have to worry about shipping the old part in to get your core charge back.

sonicx
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
You should be fine with one new caliper, one rotor, and a set of front pads. I did a quick search and O'Reilly sells the calipers for $54.99 + a $45 core charge, otherwise the cheapest place I saw was Rock Auto for $40 with a $50 core charge. It's kind of nice though to get them locally as then you don't have to worry about shipping the old part in to get your core charge back.

good to know. After talking to people definitely doing both calipers just to play it safe. Now, i'm still up in the air as to which ones. Because I've been told that those calipers are junk and unless it's aftermarket or OEM skip it. the advice was given to me over several mustang forums. But since I have no experience with it, I just don't know?

N8's98GT
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
good to know. After talking to people definitely doing both calipers just to play it safe. Now, i'm still up in the air as to which ones. Because I've been told that those calipers are junk and unless it's aftermarket or OEM skip it. the advice was given to me over several mustang forums. But since I have no experience with it, I just don't know?

There's no reason a reman caliper wouldn't work and I certainly wouldn't call them junk. Assuming you install it properly and bleed the brakes at all 4 corners, it should provide a very useful service life. Besides, you're graduating soon and once you get a full time job you can spring for the 13" SVE kit :)

I also don't think you need to replace both calipers. I could see wanting to replace both rotors and pads, but replacing a working caliper with a reman unit seems like a waste of money.

FWIW, I replaced my stock brakes 3 years ago with the Bullitt kit and my stock calipers had 120K miles on them and 10 years of hard use, yet they still worked flawlessly. I only replaced them because i wanted to upgrade the look and performance of my cars braking ability.

HELLFYR
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I just sort of have a "personal" policy that I always replace brake and suspension components in pairs. If I replace something in the rear, both rears get done. Something in the front, both in the front. I consider it preventative maintenance. If it has failed on one side, how long until it does on the other, and do I want to be stranded somewhere when it does?

That being said, LOTS of 03/04 cobra guys switch to Brembo, Wilwood or StopTech setups. There should be plenty of stock 03/04 cobra calipers floating around / available. Maybe post up a WTB thread on SVTPerformance and see what's out there and available.

I have a set of fronts, but they have a so-so paint job on them. Good enough for racing, but not really show worthy as they sit.
I also boiled the brake fluid in one of them on the road course, so I'd recommend fully flushing the lines and channel ways within the caliper before using it "live".

If you want to grab them for test fitting until you get your final products, just let me know.

Rod

N8's98GT
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I just sort of have a "personal" policy that I always replace brake and suspension components in pairs. If I replace something in the rear, both rears get done. Something in the front, both in the front. I consider it preventative maintenance. If it has failed on one side, how long until it does on the other, and do I want to be stranded somewhere when it does?

Yeah, I know some have the same personal policy. I generally have the same policy when it comes to car components, especially things like tires, shocks/struts, rotors, pads, etc... However, isn't it safe to say that a functional caliper that has been on a car will provide no noticeable difference in performance over a new caliper? They certainly are inexpensive enough where it can be a "why the hell not since everything is apart" idea though....

Strangely enough in my 14 years of car owning experience, I haven't had a caliper failure. I guess the caliper slide pins seized in the rear brakes on my Mustang (very common problem), but the caliper itself was fine. All I did was replace the pins and its worked fine ever since. Now that I said that I'm confident that either the New Yorker, the wife's Charger, or my Mustang will suffer caliper failure :lol:

sonicx
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I know some have the same personal policy. I generally have the same policy when it comes to car components, especially things like tires, shocks/struts, rotors, pads, etc... However, isn't it safe to say that a functional caliper that has been on a car will provide no noticeable difference in performance over a new caliper? They certainly are inexpensive enough where it can be a "why the hell not since everything is apart" idea though.... Strangely enough in my 14 years of car owning experience, I haven't had a caliper failure.
Yes, that’s how I feel about this matter too. When I first got my LCA’s I was just going to do those. Until I realized that I had to unbolt and then decided why not replace springs, strut, and shocks at the same time :)
You’re lucky going that long. I’ve really been doing my homework and reading through different post across many mustang forums….. there’s quite a few guys I read who have had the same thing (out of the blue) happen.

That being said, LOTS of 03/04 cobra guys switch to Brembo, Wilwood or StopTech setups. There should be plenty of stock 03/04 cobra calipers floating around / available. Maybe post up a WTB thread on SVTPerformance and see what's out there and available.I have a set of fronts, but they have a so-so paint job on them. Good enough for racing, but not really show worthy as they sit. I also boiled the brake fluid in one of them on the road course, so I'd recommend fully flushing the lines and channel ways within the caliper before using it "live".If you want to grab them for test fitting until you get your final products, just let me know.
I appreciate the fitting offer Rod. I just got done contacting a guy who has the same set of wheel as I do with his cobra brakes. Fitment shouldn’t be an issue if I went that path.
I know on corral or SVT those guys still want an arm in leg for their used cobra calipers: $300-450 just for the calipers. Granted there the real deal and say “cobra”. But unless I am missing something I feel that overpriced. I’d pay $250 for a nice used pair but that it. If you know anyone, all ears. But for $550 you can have a set that says SVE, you get a set of POWERSLOT slotted rotors, ceramic pads, plus steel lines. You break that down: $240 for a pair of powerslot slotted rotors, Napa ceramic pads $50, steel lines $60, $250 cobra calipers. (Est. prices)

There's no reason a O Riley’s caliper wouldn't work and I certainly wouldn't call them junk. Assuming you install it properly and bleed the brakes at all 4 corners, it should provide a very useful service life. Besides, you're graduating soon and once you get a full time job you can spring for the 13" SVE kit :)
I am doing this one more time and this time is it (lol). I dont want to be coming back to this thread 6-8 months again kicking myself for any more failed brake parts. So, I am seriously debating if I should slap calipers on or do SVE kit? I could swing that price tag but don't know if I want to. But I am going to need new tires in May (no ifs). So budgeting is key.

N8's98GT
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
You really won't regret the decision to upgrade... plus since you like to mod your car, may as well replace failed parts with parts that are better than factory while you're at it. You'll definitely notice a difference if you decide to do some auto-x driving this year, and day to day driving is much improved with the better pedal feel offered by the SS brake lines.

Whenever I have a part fail on my Mustang I always upgrade to something better... I had a bushing fail on my LCA's, so I bought MM LCA's... I had a u-joint fail so I bought an aluminum D/S... I needed new shocks/struts so I bought Tokiko HP blue's to replace the stockers and did springs at the same time... etc... :lol:

EDIT: sorry for post whoring in here... slow day at work :)

HELLFYR
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I had NEVER had brake problems until the orange slitherer.

This car has gone through 3 sets of rotors, easily 5 sets of pads, and a set of calipers. All in a 2 year timeframe. Granted, I am running this car a LOT harder than I ever ran the 90, 94 or 96 stangs and snakes I had up to that point.

In answer to your question, I would EXPECT a reman caliper to be on par with a new caliper... with some exceptions. In order to "fix" whatever problem required it to be remanufactured, there had to have been some form of "correction" taken. So you are not really getting a "stock" product. A caliper I would guess probably just had it's piston(s) rebuilt or a broken off banjo bolt removed and the threads chased. So... in the case of a brake caliper, yeh... reman is probably "good enough". I just don't think I would trust "good enough" to something hauling me down from 100+ mph. :)

Rod

sonicx
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
After asking for alot of imput, I've decided to treat my car to:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-2300K/1994-04-Mustang-Sve-13-Inch-Front-Cobra-Style-Brake-Kit

.... pocketbook is not and will not be happy with this. :splat:

Plus while I was at it:

(3) 12 oz bottles Wilwood Hi-Temp 570 Racing Brake Fluid.... over kill? Maybe, but might as well "GO ALL OUT" since I am practically there already lol.

* Thanks Guys for the input*

I am very much looking forward to the taste of my seatbelt :p

TF2v97SN
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
very nice jason!!! might as well go all out or just go home....... if youre doing competitions with your car and upgrade of a failed part is the best way to go. that is how my car has been.......well except for the engine i replaced :)

HELLFYR
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Looks like a nice choice to me!

Rod

sonicx
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the encouragement that I made the right choice. I didn't want to spend anymore on shipping which sucks but after talking to Nate and my friend Eric I orderd another 3 bottles of brake fluid. Just to be safe. Now brake fluid, does it expire? Like if I don't use all 6 bottles can I save it for a couple years?

TF2v97SN
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
as long as the seals arent broken, brake fluid attracts moisture, so if a bottle is open its not good for very long.

HELLFYR
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Also depends on the type of cannister. The ATE Super Blue I order comes in metal cans, so if the cans start to degrade I'd toss it. With most brake fluid being in plastic bottles though, like Brett said, as long as the seal isn't broken it should keep many years.