PDA

View Full Version : Not another exhausting thread...

vistabluevert
02-18-2012, 02:11 AM
I am seeking the wisdom and experience of the MNfords community (hey, don't laugh too hard!). It's time to upgrade to dual exhaust on my 07 V6 Mustang. I seem to create more questions the more I look into this project, so feel free to educate me. I'll be the first to say that yes, it's a V6, and there's no replacement for displacement, but I'm not looking for a more powerful vehicle, just one that sounds a little bit more muscular. I just put in a BBK cold-air intake and feel exhaust is the next logical mod. What are your opinions on y-pipe, x-pipe, or h-pipes? Any recommendations for exhaust shops or kits? I'm in the NW metro.

I've heard good things about Heartthrob exhaust.

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/1029020.PDF
This kit is around $410 and installation is $75. The y-pipe concerns me, seems like it would create too much back pressure?

I've also been told Pypes Performance Exhaust has a quality product.

http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m4p.pvx?;products_no_tree?cat=X2075?co mpany=ppe

I'm open to any suggestions, so feel free to post your thoughts! I won't be doing anything until late March or early April, so no hurry!

MadJack
02-18-2012, 03:56 AM
i say go with pypes, i had a pypes system on my old stang, loved it! went on easy and correct, and sounded great

sonicx
02-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Please Please STAY AWAY frokm Pypes. You do any kind of research or visit any Mustang Forum community (they'll say the same). The quality is bad (parts leak/break due to poor material) and their customer service isn't too much better (what I've heard from others).

I have sent you a PM laying some stuff out.

720sonic
02-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Pypes exhaust is probably the worst you can get. There are a lot better options to go with.

MadJack
02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
i guess i got lucky... lol

vistabluevert
03-30-2012, 03:34 AM
A special thanks to sonicx for some helpful advice and a few suggestions. I ended up purchasing a MAC Performance Dual Exhaust conversion kit from my friends at American Muscle. I was hoping they would send an AM Girl with my purchase, but I had no such luck. :(

I'm a fairly patient person, but with the gorgeous weather I decided (against my better judgement) to tackle this seemingly simple install solo. My garage consists of a slab of concrete, walls surrounding it, and a roof overhead. No lifts, or other goodies that a car enthusiast should possess. So using a jack, jack stands, and some good old-fashioned ingenuity I began my exhausting adventure. Two hours, and two cuts later, and the stock exhaust was scrap metal. I found my breaking point a hour and thirty minutes into the install. I grabbed the sawzall and step one was complete.

A few days later (ie. cooling off period) I started the install. After tinkering with the exhaust hangers for a while, I got the mufflers, the over-the-axle pipes, and the MAC y-pipe connected , but couldn't get them connected to the factory y-pipe since I needed to cut the rear bumper cover on the driver's side. I don't know about you, but cutting a body panel is a little nerve-racking. Words of wisdom: a Dremel doesn't cut plastic very well, it melts it (at least in my experience). Once I got a rough cut-out (literally!) I was able to get everything connected. I decided to test it out and was immediately amazed at the difference in sound! Wow! Loud?-Yes! A few days later I did some fine tuning and ended up having to cut some more out of the bumper cover. Hopefully everything is set, but I think I'll be swapping out the rear bumper cover from a GT or GT500 style at some point. I have a video on my phone of the finished product, but I need to redo it since my dog decided to sniff the phone/camera after I walked away from it and caused it to flip back towards the sky... Maybe I'll wait to post it until after the Spring Kick-Off Cruise to entice you to attend and hear it in real life...

So thanks again for the helpful insight from those that posted. I look forward to another great year cruising!

sonicx
03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Cool. Happy to hear the install went well as well as the fact you loved the sound. Here's the price difference for a rear bumper (roughly): $380 (C/S & GT500) vs. $215 (GT)