PDA

View Full Version : Time to brag a bit...

HELLFYR
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
As many know, I have been coaching sports for Rockford for the last couple years. In fact our family has become quite involved in the Rockford Area Athletic Association (RAAA). Over the past weekend, JJ played in his first State basketball tournament and they did very well.

Took the floor Saturday at Bloomington Jefferson High School.

They started off against a strong Duluth team, and took a quick loss in the tourney 42-30.
A game they knew they could have been a lot closer in, but just started out slow and never caught up.

The bracket brought Roseville to the table next, a pretty strong team. The boys rallied to beat Roseville 47-43.

Confidence building, next up was Prior Lake with 2 large post players. The boys shut down the posts and won 44-40.

That brought us to the end of the first day.
Back down to Bloomington for day 2.

First game of the day was a good team from Byron (outside Rochester), a very strong wing/post player confused the boys at first but they adjusted and shut him down as well, beating Byron 32-29.

This setup a confrontation we could just see forming in the bracket. A re-match with the Duluth team that beat them in the first round.
Sure enough, Duluth lost to the #1 seed Coon Rapids, and Duluth was next on our plate.

The boys were pumped to get another shot at this team and played their hearts out.
But it simply wasn't enough. The Duluth team was simply a better skilled team and the boys ended up finally getting knocked out of the tournament 40-25. One game short of the 3rd place game.

This Duluth team went on to beat St Louis Park - Provost to take 3rd place.
Coon Rapids ran the bracket seeded #1 and won out to win the title with St Anthony as the runner up.

All in all a great showing for my boys, very proud father and coach! :redface:

Now on to baseball! GO ROCKETS!

Oh... and car season. :redface:

Rod

LadyCobra
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
<---------- Very Proud Mom

Having both our kids in basketball, you get to know the other kids as well when you spend night after night at practices and weekend after weekend at games. Come to know them as "our girls" and "our boys". Was great watching them play so well when it counted most. Last game was tough but they had nothing to hang their heads about. Duluth was a strong team that our boys just couldn't overcome. There's always next year!

But for now, Rod's right, on to Baseball! And cars :)
Our daughter has elected not play Softball this year so spring/summer will be a bit more open in that regard.

:thup:

66gtk
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Congratulations on your fun season. Molly will be playing travel basketball next year as a 5th grader. We are looking forward to it. We had a fun season playing together (Me coach) along with our younger daughter, Ella in the house league this year. They are hungry for more competition!

HAULNSS
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
This is something that you reallly understand when you are a 'sports parent'. Our six year old is on his 3rd year of hockey and it is soooo much fun watching him (and all the other kids) progress. I think it is a great way to enjoy something as a family and each of us get something different out the experience as a person.

Some of the friendships that our family has made during the season are priceless, also.

Give all the kids a high five from me.

Randy

BlackFink
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
That is what life is about, being involved and making memories. I'm happy for you guys!

HELLFYR
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone, it was a very cool weekend.

720sonic
03-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Very cool. Just years ago I remember playing Traveling basketball for Roseville. Those were some of my favorite memories in sports.