PDA

View Full Version : Good welder and a lift? I need to hire somebody to retrofit seat belts in my '65

66gtk
03-22-2012, 09:30 AM
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/574405-65-rear-seat-belt-install.html

I can get the anchor plates easily enough, but they need to be welded into the correct locations like the factory did on the underside of the floor boards. My fastback didn't have provisions for rear seatbelts as it was an early car. I'd like to change that. Anybody here have the skills to help do this for me?

1991lx
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Alfreds Repair/Burda's Towing may be able to help you you. I know the owner, he is into the 40's-60's hot rods and he is very skilled in restoration, engine repair/diagnostics and also sheetmetal work. Anytime I need some work done on one of the Mustangs they are my shop of choice.
They are located in Rogers. Contact info is 763-428-9911.

FLSTCI71
03-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Do the plates have to be welded in? They will be held in by the seat belt bolts, so they won't go anywhere. When my kids were little, I installed seat belts in the back of my 36 sedan, my 56 Victoria and my 64 Galaxie. I never welded any of them in. Once they were installed, they were rock solid and it seemed redundant to weld them.

66gtk
03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Do the plates have to be welded in? They will be held in by the seat belt bolts, so they won't go anywhere. When my kids were little, I installed seat belts in the back of my 36 sedan, my 56 Victoria and my 64 Galaxie. I never welded any of them in. Once they were installed, they were rock solid and it seemed redundant to weld them.

The factory and dealer installations back in the day welded them in - However, I'm with you on this one. Once they are secure, I don't really see the point (unless you want to be able to repeatedly change out the belts by yourself). I could probably use JB weld to hold them in place as well and not even need a helper to keep things from moving under the car while bolting in from the top.

Drilling the holes may be an issue as the holes will have to be fairly large and will likely leave a large flange that will not be desireable for the fit of the washers, etc. I wonder if there is a better way than drilling the large hole or if there is some sort of punch available that could cut a clean hole. I also have to manage around all the exhaust, brake lines, etc... This definitely would be easiest with a lift (:

FLSTCI71
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
You are totally correct with the changing them out yourself comment. Whenever I installed the belts (bought a car) or removed them (sold a car), I had to have my wife help me. It's probably not something you do often enough to worry about though. Either way, you could install them first, then weld them later if you felt it was necessary.

I think I used 1/2" bolts, but they may have even been a little bigger. So, you're right, the holes to drill are not trivial. I used some really large washers too. I didn't have factory locations to worry about, I was able to mount the belts where the washer size wasn't a problem.

Whatever you end up doing, snap some pics. I'd like to see what you decide.