PDA

View Full Version : 427 SOHC

720sonic
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I went to the north St. Paul car show friday night. Ended up seeing a white galaxy with a 427 SOHC engine. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen or heard in my life. The ground was actually shacking while it was running. Has anyone on here ever seen one before?

FLSTCI71
06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I think anyone over the age of 40 has seen several of them. lol. They are awesome motors, that's for sure. That's why NASCAR outlawed them before they even ran a race. They really look and sound cool though, that's for sure!!

720sonic
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I have talked to guys over the age of 60 the last couple of days that have never seen one in person before. You are correct about nascar outlawing them. My dad has been raving about this engine for a long time.

sonicx
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Yes I've seen a few. I know of what you're talking about because I was there. :)

I think anyone over the age of 40 has seen several of them. lol. They are awesome motors, that's for sure. That's why NASCAR outlawed them before they even ran a race. They really look and sound cool though, that's for sure!!

A lot of controversy eludes the 247 engine especially being the only engine ever in NASCAR to be banned. The Hemi powered Chrysler cars had been several miles per hour faster than the Fords and Mercury’s in 1964. Ford countered in 1965 with its Frankenstein 427 which was basically a HEMI without being called a Hemi. NASCAR took action to slow the cars down, but created more controversy when the rules for 1965 cut back on engine power hurting both Ford and Chrysler. In 1965 NASCAR banned Ford's high-riser engines claiming they did not actually fit under "stock" hoods, allowing Chrysler to continue racing its 426 Hemi, which had never been installed in a production vehicle until that year.

They had to come up with an excuss as Chrysler was so terrified of getting it's HEMI destroyed. What some arent aware of is that (in the wake of 1965) created a 10,000rpm SOHC 426 HEMI and waved it in front of NASCAR officials telling them the FORD 427 SOHC motor was 1) never available in the necessary 500 production vehicles to meet homologation rules, 2) if the Cammer wasn’t banned, it would bring its own upgraded 426 hemi. Which NASCAR knew that if this started it'd open up a whole new box of worms. Especially during an era where they've lost quite a few drivers during the 63,64 season due to high speeds.

I have talked to guys over the age of 60 the last couple of days that have never seen one in person before. You are correct about nascar outlawing them. My dad has been raving about this engine for a long time.

Chrysler never produced there "real monster" but as for FORD their 427 went on to compete and race in many NHRA and IHRA drag racing competitions and was a force to be reckoned with. A lot of drag guys swapped these many... Mustangs (go figure).

FLSTCI71
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
In 1965 NASCAR banned Ford's high-riser engines claiming they did not actually fit under "stock" hoods.

Very true. In 1964, the NHRA said Ford could race any factory intake that would fit under a "stock" hood. So, Ford stuck the bubble hood on the T-Bolt and destroyed Chevy/Mopar at the drags. That has been my dream motor for many years, a 427 High Riser!!

sonicx
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Don't know much about the NHRA or its history. NASCAR; however, different story. :) I'd love to own a 1940's Ford withflathead V-8.