PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Cobra with Stiegemiere Port near Apple Valley....

Epic
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Gang,

As you all may know I installed my Stiege ported blower last Friday. It has been chirping at idle with a squeal at speed since the day I installed it. I wasn't too concerned at the time due the forums I've read, etc. But after 200+ miles the noise is still there (maybe worse) so I talked to Bob at Stiege and it seems like this may not be normal and suggested that I send the unit back to him.

So, before I go through the pain of removnig the blower once again, I would like to compare the sounds to someone elses ported blower. Or have others listen and give me thier opinion. I have no prior experience with the ported blowers, so I don't know what to expect.

I will try to capture the noise on Video tonight when I get home and post it here.

So if anything is close to the Apple Valley area and has experiance with these blowers I would appreaticate some feedback tonight.

Epic

BlownSVT
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
where is the sound coming from? can you isolate it to one area? snout or belt or ...... My ported blower sounded no different than the original stock one.

Epic
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
where is the sound coming from? can you isolate it to one area? snout or belt or ...... My ported blower sounded no different than the original stock one.

Opps... It's bad then :errr:

This is a Night/Day difference in sound compared to Original.

Stiege is swamped with jobs right now and didn't bench test all of the blowers before shipping them out. He is very nice about it through and he coverers all the shipping expense, etc. to send it back.

I just gave John Z. a call at AV FORD and I will drop by the dealership to see what he thinks.

P.S. I thought at first it sound like a binding bearing but closer examination seems to point at something in the casing/lobes.

HELLFYR
04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I think you may be experiencing the "SnakeBite" gear whine.

100% normal.

The SnakeBite setup is more than just a porting job, they also change the gear ratio inside the blower.
That gearing change produces a LOT more noise.

I wonder if Steig forgot you had a SnakeBite unit ?

Anyway, my Stage 5 is a little noisier at idle than my stock blower was.
Rotor noise from what I can tell.
Nothing that would make me think something was wrong though.

Rod

SnakeByte
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm over here in Inver Grove with a Stage 4 port. Mine squeals loud when cold <time to change the SC oil again> , then it quites down when warm at idle.

And it does Screem pretty sweet at WOT...... :eek2:

PM me if you want to compare sounds, notes etc....

Epic
04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Here is the Video of the noise

http://webpages.charter.net/bkthill/Video/Blower Noise.wmv

The link was pointing to ftp instead of http

Epic
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
You can really here the grinding sound on this video... and the higher pitched chirping

TF2v97SN
04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
wow, that sounds horrible, your not rubbing on the pulley shield by chance are you?

GMan
04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Sounds real ugly! narley :fail:

SnakeByte
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Sounds like metal on metal to me? Not a good thing?

IMHO....

HELLFYR
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I haven't listened to it yet... will take a listen when I get home tonight.

Video_Master
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
remove the shield and start it again. Also blip the throttle to hear what happens at higher rpms. Post back that info.

Epic
04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I took video while removing the blower. I sent it back to Stiege

Here is a video with the belt off.

http://webpages.charter.net/bkthill/Video/Blower Noise II.wmv

Here is a video with the belt on.

http://webpages.charter.net/bkthill/Video/Blower Noise III.wmv

SnakeByte
04-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Bad snout bearing?

HELLFYR
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
I still think it is gear noise from inside the blower after listening to it tonight.

Not the "correct" gear noise, almost like there is no lubricant in it.

I think sending it to Steig may be your only option.

If you need a blower "quick", my stocker is sitting in the garage, I could loan it to you until you get yours back from Steig.

Just shoot me a PM and let me know

ShelbyJoe
04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Any updates on this?

Epic
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I got the blower back on Monday the 3rd and installed it. The noise is gone, but it seems like the power is too. I wish I had dyno results from before and after to compare.

BTW when is the next Dyno Day?