PDA

View Full Version : best type of s/c for 05 ustang Gt?

STtuner
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
what does everyone think is the best style of supercharger for the 05-09 mustang a roots type or a centrifugal type s/c? (maybe throw in a brand pref. with answers?)

KrisR
04-26-2010, 05:27 AM
what does everyone think is the best style of supercharger for the 05-09 mustang a roots type or a centrifugal type s/c? (maybe throw in a brand pref. with answers?)

I have a Vortech on mine. It's OK I guess, makes decent power and has been reliable enough. If I were to do it again with a Centri blower, I would probably get a Procharger. The Prochargers come with a dedicated 8-rib belt setup, so you don't have to convert everything else over to 8-rib like you do on a Vortech/Paxton setup which shares the serpentine belt with the accessories. Also, they come with air/air intercoolers on all the kits. A D1 would be good to start with (keep boost at 10psi or less on stock internals unless you have the money set aside for forged stuff), and you can upgrade to a bigger headunit later if you build the shortblock.

Honestly though, at this point I think I would prefer a Whipple or Kenne Bell setup for a wider powerband. I don't feel like switching from my factory 3.55 gears because I do a lot of highway cruising (60 mile roundtrip to/from work) and the centri blowers feel a little lackluster unless you have the right gears. Also, I have a low-compression forged shortblock now and could use some lower-rpm boost to get the car moving.

HELLFYR
04-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Roush makes a nice unit for the 05-09 cars

No1Ford
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I have a Vortech on mine. It's OK I guess, makes decent power and has been reliable enough. If I were to do it again with a Centri blower, I would probably get a Procharger. The Prochargers come with a dedicated 8-rib belt setup, so you don't have to convert everything else over to 8-rib like you do on a Vortech/Paxton setup which shares the serpentine belt with the accessories. Also, they come with air/air intercoolers on all the kits. A D1 would be good to start with (keep boost at 10psi or less on stock internals unless you have the money set aside for forged stuff), and you can upgrade to a bigger headunit later if you build the shortblock.

Honestly though, at this point I think I would prefer a Whipple or Kenne Bell setup for a wider powerband. I don't feel like switching from my factory 3.55 gears because I do a lot of highway cruising (60 mile roundtrip to/from work) and the centri blowers feel a little lackluster unless you have the right gears. Also, I have a low-compression forged shortblock now and could use some
lower-rpm boost to get the car moving.
Kris what kind of power are you making with your setup? Any track times yet?

KrisR
04-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Kris what kind of power are you making with your setup? Any track times yet?

A little over 500rwhp. Highest I've seen was 513/457 at Hitech a few weeks ago. 14lbs of boost at 6600rpm. Stock 3v heads, cams, intake, TB, etc. Just the intercooled T-trim and longtubes to make power. 8.5:1 CR forged MMR800 shortblock. 92 pump gas.

Best run I had so far was last fall at CFR. With 26x11.50-15 ET Streets it went 11.57 at 120.x. Had a couple 121 traps also. Full weight except the spare tire removed.

DNeinstadt
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Generally:
Roots/twin screw = low down power and linear build throughout the RPM
Centrifugal = high power up top, "spools" like a turbocharger.

STtuner
04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
ok im thinking about going kenne bell stage 1 for it, but i would like to know from some other people at what point should i start workin with internals? this is not a daily driver, it is mostly show/ weekend driver

KrisR
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
ok im thinking about going kenne bell stage 1 for it, but i would like to know from some other people at what point should i start workin with internals? this is not a daily driver, it is mostly show/ weekend driver

In my opinion, anytime you add any supercharger to a stock Mustang, you need to at least be ready to replace the shortblock. Some break at 400whp (mine broke a piston at a little over 410) and some go to 500+ for a long time with no issues. Keep the boost under 10 lbs and get larger injectors and fuel pump (I have the GT500 dual pumps in mine) and you should be OK, at least for awhile.

STtuner
04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
ya i will be ready for it, but i just want to be ok for right now if that makes any sense

KrisR
04-26-2010, 09:20 PM
ya i will be ready for it, but i just want to be ok for right now if that makes any sense

Makes sense to me. The K-Bs are nice units. Go for it.

Epic
04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
My buddy has the Ford Racing Whipple setup in his '07 GT. The kit included fuel pumps, injectors, etc. Makes great HP (hasn't been dyno'ed yet). He is part of the club but hasn't signed up on the boards yet. His only complaint is that the stock pullies are to thin, he would like to replace them with a 8 or 10 rib setup.

KrisR
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Just FYI, BGG Performance sells nice 8-rib conversion kits for 3v cars and others:
http://www.bggperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_13

STtuner
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
i heard that too with a few systems saying they were having issues with the belts

KrisR
04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
i heard that too with a few systems saying they were having issues with the belts

My 6-rib setup has held up fairly well, with the exception of the stock Mustang belt tensioner, which is a POS. It snapped in half at the track and tore the belt in half in the process. Of course, I hadn't trailered the car there that day, which sucked. I'm now using a Steeda belt tensioner which so far has been fine.

Another thing I don't like about the Vortech/Paxton setups is the belt routing.....it's impossible to swap belts without pulling the blower bracket off, which is a pain.

Miller
04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
edited.

DNeinstadt
04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
We try to keep our sales to our sponsor, please support those that support this club.

Miller
04-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Whoops, I forget which clubs have sponsors and which don't at times.

DNeinstadt
04-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for understanding! :)

STtuner
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
maybe i missed something but we werent leaving any sponsers out of this?

DNeinstadt
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
You missed Miller pitching another dealership. :)

forgotn
05-06-2010, 06:09 AM
PROCHARGER FTW!!!!

http://blowbyracing.com/ati1fp202sci.html

VetteHunter
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I have a Magnacharger on mine. Its very nice! I love it. My step dad started working over at Whipple again, and he was talking about swapping the Magnacharger for the Whipple... Personally the type of blower you want depends on your goals. Roots type (Magnacharger) have more low end and mid range power. Theyre great for street racing and 0-60 times. Whipple is a twin screew blower (the rotors are both male in this blower as compare to having a male and female in the roots, one of the differences) it has more mid to high range power and they typically can run a little more timing. My step dad could really school you on the differences of the 3 types of superchargers, centrifical is the third that i didnt mention (they suck). If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask and if I don't know, I will ask him. He helped develope the kit for the Mustang that Magnacharger makes, and his specialty is in the tuning of the engine.

No1Ford
11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
In my opinion, anytime you add any supercharger to a stock Mustang, you need to at least be ready to replace the shortblock. Some break at 400whp

:errr:

Miller
11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
KB's are over priced IMO. I'd go centrifugal, you can add intercoolers easier and have more potential later!

1991lx
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Has anyone looked at the new Edlebrock setup? I'm gonna buy a 06 GT in Legend Lime this next spring and was leaning towards the Edlebrock setup.

Any opinions?

HMMRDWN
11-11-2010, 09:40 AM
BlackPony can tell ya all about the Edlebrock set-up.....

HMMRDWN
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
:errr:

BTW No1Ford... lovin' the new sig pic!
What color blue is your mach 1?

1991lx
11-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Also what's the differences/benefits between the Whipple, Roush, Ford Racing, Edlebrock units?

No1Ford
11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
BTW No1Ford... lovin' the new sig pic!
What color blue is your mach 1?
I wanna say something ice blue? I will find out, but I do know it's a discontinued color. That what Aaron at Xtreme paint told me when I had the front of the car repaint in September. :( Maybe it's time for a clear bra. :uhoh:

Aspette
11-11-2010, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=VetteHunter;7528] My step dad started working over at Whipple again, If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask and if I don't know, I will ask him.

Ok can he get member discounts I would really like to buy Badd Asp one ;)