PDA

View Full Version : When to change your synthetic Oil

JJhirsch
08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I use SYN-POWER Valvoline full synthetic oil 10w 30 and a good FRAM filter.

For the people who run synthetic oil how many miles do you do until you change it? I have been doing my car every 3000 but i keep hearing that 5000-7500 miles is just fine?

How many miles/Months do you wait and when you store your car what do you do? keep the old oil in it or put new stuff in just for the winter and change in the spring?

Thanks JJ

TF2v97SN
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
your biggest issue is the fram filter, they are junk. use a motorcraft filter. i change my amsoil every 3k regardless just becuse i know how much i have into my motor. i just change mine every 3k, oils are made better than how they use to be, you dont need to do fall or spring oil change after the car sits. there oil wont go bad for sitting for 5 months.

90SC
08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
My fleet V10 says 10k, our fleet service company say 7.5k. The other issue is that engines run so much cleaner then when the 3k rule was in play, so there is much less contaminates and fuel getting into the oil to break it down.

TF2v97SN
08-28-2012, 06:49 PM
severe duty cycle by mfg recomendations is still 3k miles.

720sonic
08-29-2012, 04:26 AM
I think it mainly depends how much you care about your vehicle. I do my mustang every 2500 to 3k just because that's what I'm comfortable with. It always comes out clean but in all reality that's what you want to come out. Other vehicles I do 3-5k. I would never do every 10k no matter what make or model unless maybe amsoil is used. Also I would never use any other oil filter than a motorcraft.

N8's98GT
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
your biggest issue is the fram filter, they are junk. use a motorcraft filter. i change my amsoil every 3k regardless just becuse i know how much i have into my motor. i just change mine every 3k, oils are made better than how they use to be, you dont need to do fall or spring oil change after the car sits. there oil wont go bad for sitting for 5 months.

+1 on the Motorcraft filter. I use the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil from WalMart and the Motorcraft filter from WalMart and change my oil in the Mustang every 3K miles. When I installed my cams 2 years ago, my cams, cam journals and top side of my cylinder heads looked brand new despite my engine having 130K miles.

On my DD, I use the Mobil 5K conventional oil from WalMart and a Mopar filter from WalMart. It gets changed every 5K miles and I haven't had any issues.