PDA

View Full Version : My Current Issues

ZephyrEFI
03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I thought maybe you guys would maybe like to weigh in about the problems I'm having with the Zeph.

I've got '01 Bullitt wheels on it now. I had constant rubbing issues with the fenders. My solution for this was to raise the car up so that they wouldn't get near each other. The only problem is now, the ride is very bouncy and harsh. It's just not pleasant to drive, and why have it, if I don't want to drive it. Not only that, I just don't like how it looks sitting that high. The rear fenders have been rolled, and the fender arch is lower than on the front. If I have rubbing, it starts here. I have a Mark VII axle in the back, which I understand is 1.25" wider per side than the stock axle. I do like the aggressive stance it gives the car. I know I need to lower the car some to tame the ride. So, the question is, do I attempt the "bracket flip", get some stock-length axles, and narrow the rear, or do I look for different wheels that fit better? I'm considering '05 and up grey Bullitts, since they look pretty much just like the wheels I have, or maybe some other, smaller, narrower wheels that might yield a better ride. Probably something with FWD backspacing like from a '00-06 Taurus or MN12 T-bird. I do know I want something with a timeless look, so I don't have outdated looking wheels in 10 years.

As far as the front, right now I have '01 spindles, a QA1 crossmember meant for a Fox Mustang, and stock Fox Mustang control arms. It definitely has a wider track than stock. I bought some '94-95 spindles and caster/camber plates to swap in(right now the wheels are cambered out at the top--can't remember if that's positive or negative), so that should get me a little more room for the wheels I have and maybe improve the ride some, but will it be enough? I understand having the '05 and up Bullitts on a Fox, you lose some turning radius too. And if I narrow the rear, will it look funny compared to the front, if I can't narrow the front enough?

Then we come to how exactly to lower the car. Right now I have a mishmash of springs and shocks from various stock applications that do not work well together. I'm considering going coilover front and rear. I like the idea of adjustable ride height, and I understand coilovers get you a better ride just by themselves by not having that tension on the lower control arms a regular coil spring has. Obviously the downside is cost. They are quite expensive. The other possible route is a quality full spring/dampener kit from a reputed brand like Bilstein. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me, these kits are meant first and foremost to lower the car and improve handling. I like decent handling, but I need a better ride from this car. It's a cruiser more than a corner carver. It seems to me you can't have your cake and eat it too. Not only have you lost suspension travel with these kits, any lowered car I've ever driven or been in, the ride suffers. This route is cheaper than coilovers, but I think it's more likely I won't be happy with it.

Any thoughts?

MadJack
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Where on the fenders are you hitting? Maybe you just need your fenders rolled? Getting your alignment correct will improve your ride quality. Also having matched componants will help a lot. Coil overs in my mind are best.

ZephyrEFI
03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
The rear fenders are rolled. The thing is though, i'm not sure if that by itself helped at all. I was so sick of rubbing, I raised up the rear at the same time. I never drove it with the old springs and fenders rolled. I was looking at it the other day, and it looks to me, if i lower the car, the rims and fenders will be dang close to each other. If the body rolls side to side at all, I think I would have a problem.

And just to be clear, I didn't intend to raise the car, I just put stiffer springs on. Raising it up was just a side effect. It definitely sits higher than factory height though, judging by pictures I've seen from dealer brochures.

MadJack
03-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Ever looked into a narrowed rear end?

ZephyrEFI
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Well, I guess if you do the "bracket flip", you can use stock Fox length axles, you can get that 1.25" per side back. There's plenty of room in the factory wheel wells inside of the tires now, so if I did that, I should not have any fit problems, wheelwise. What you do, i guess is swap the caliper brackets side to side, so they end up "flipped" or backwards. Then everything is supposed to just bolt back together. I guess it compromises your parking brake though somehow, so I still have to figure that out. I'm making a run to U-Pull tomorrow, maybe i'll grab some ranger axles and give it a try. The question is, will they end up too far in and look funny compared to the widened front?

MadJack
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
If you get narrowed then you can get wheels/spacers on the rear. To make it look right

ZephyrEFI
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
That's true!

ZephyrEFI
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Damn, not a 4x4 Ranger or Aerostar to be found at Rosemount U-Pull. I think they have to be '92 or earlier, right? The newer ones they had there didn't look offset. Didn't want to bend down in the mud to look too close though.

MadJack
03-29-2013, 06:39 PM
All ranger rears are offset. Aswell as explorers

ZephyrEFI
03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Makes sense, but are they still the right length for swapping Fox axles '93 and up?

MadJack
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
I would pick up a expo axle and an extra short side axle. Shorten it down and weld on your fox brackets. The expo is 31 spline and trac loc. Comes in 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 gears you want one From a 96+ v8 . Plus they have 11" disk brakes

ZephyrEFI
03-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Eh, I'm not interested in doing serious fabrication like that. I've managed to get this far without it, haha. Then again, what's that attitude gotten me? A car I'm not satisfied with. :crazy:

MadJack
03-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Take it to the next level man