PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster Super 50 Loud?

ZephyrEFI
04-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Looking at putting a Flowmaster muffler on my Aviator. Just a muffler on the existing exhaust. I'm considering the Super 50 and the Super 70. The Super 50 would be a bit more convenient because the stock pipe is 2 inches, and the Super 50 comes in 2.25" and is shorter, leaving more room for a step up adaptor and a step down adaptor. The Super 70 only comes in 2.5" and 3", and is almost as long as the stock muffler. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I want something only a notch or two louder than stock and just a nice tone. Are the Super 50s pretty loud? If so, I'll probably want to find a way to get the Super 70 in there.

Thanks!

HELLFYR
04-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I had delta 40s on my old 5.4 F150, and it was just right. Got a little loud (but not "blatting") when you romped on it, but was nice and low rumble when driving around normal. Still had stock exhaust manifolds and catted pipes.

ZephyrEFI
04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks! I'm a bit surprised by that. I have Super 44s on the Zephyr, although with an off-road H-pipe, but that sucker is LOUD. :burnout:

TooTall
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
not sure how a 50 would be but had a Super 44 on my super duty and it got old fast. Id go back to a 40 before anything else.

ZephyrEFI
04-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm looking to avoid, haha. I've got a wife to keep happy and this is an everyday family car, so I just want a pleasant rumble, no crazy drone or anything like that.

oldmusher
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
your small pipe size (2") and your single exhaust (?) should strangle things well enough to keep them quiet with any "turbo" style or "chambered" Muffler. Flomasters are a little expensive, but should last. Flomasters are famous for the "drone" in Mustangs, but they have duals and less sound deadening material than your ride. You should be okay. We have dual Thrush chambered Mufflers at half the cost of a pair of Flomasters, and the pipes end just before the rear axle. No need for a radio. Keep your tailpipe.

ZephyrEFI
05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
your small pipe size (2") and your single exhaust (?) should strangle things well enough to keep them quiet with any "turbo" style or "chambered" Muffler. Flomasters are a little expensive, but should last. Flomasters are famous for the "drone" in Mustangs, but they have duals and less sound deadening material than your ride. You should be okay. We have dual Thrush chambered Mufflers at half the cost of a pair of Flomasters, and the pipes end just before the rear axle. No need for a radio. Keep your tailpipe.

Yeah, I kind of thought that might be the case about keeping most of the original exhaust. I ordered a 70 Series Flowmaster. I think it will be good! Now I just have to figure out how I can install it without a welder. Haha!

ZephyrEFI
06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Finally got around to installing it today using the step/down adaptors and clamps. Initial impressions: it's almost silent at idle, except a bit more bass in the exhaust tone. I was kind of disappointed when i first started it up. :lol: But once you get above 1000 rpm, you do hear it. So, during accelleration and, say 10 to 50 mph, you really hear it, but once you reach highway speed, it fades away again to almost unnoticeable. The sound of it is a little but "Chevy", but so far, I'm pretty satisfied!