PDA

View Full Version : How does filing a claim work?

Miller
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I am going to have to file my first claim for insurance. A shopping cart tore up my SVT pretty good. The hood has to be replaced, the bumper repaired and the drivers headlight replaced. 1518 estimate by Mankato Ford.

My question is, how do all those people get checks cut to them by insurance and then do it themselves. As in I want to get a carbon fiber hood if I'm going to replace mine.

Budderigs
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
call your insurance company and tell them you want to file a claim there should be a claim hotline number on the back of your insurance card.

Miller
05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I got that part. But how do they decide how much money for repair and such that I can fix the vehicle myself?

Budderigs
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
they send you to an "approved garage" to get a quote the they ask if you want the check or do you want it done at the shop. then they give you the check minus your deductible.

Miller
05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Sweet, thanks!

DNeinstadt
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Good luck, sorry to hear the news. :( :(

Miller
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Eh, maybe I'll luck out and the insurance will cut me a check and then work will too. That'd be sweet. haha

FORDSVTPARTS
05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
I'd suggest getting a couple body shop estimates before you accept any checks.

Just to CYA in case they estimate it low.

66gtk
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
This process has become more complicated in recent times. My company even wants proof that the damage was repaired by a qualified shop before they release the funds, or if they release the funds prior to that they will never pay for a claim if the car was damaged again in that area whether you fixed it properly or not. Be careful.

Miller
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I forgot some info at work yesterday so I'll be calling them later to file the claim.

HMMRDWN
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
This process has become more complicated in recent times. My company even wants proof that the damage was repaired by a qualified shop before they release the funds, or if they release the funds prior to that they will never pay for a claim if the car was damaged again in that area whether you fixed it properly or not. Be careful.

Yep...my company is the same way too. :) Makes sense...