PDA

View Full Version : West Concord Car Show - July 24, 10-2:30pm

p51mstg
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
My wife and I chair a car show every year during the annual community celebration, held the 4th full weekend in July. We don't pick the weekend, it picked us. Every year, it seems like we compete against something more important, but the show gets bigger, in spite of that.

It's open to all makes and models.... even Chevy's. Proceeds go to the West Concord Historical Society to keep their fine museum open (no joke, it's pretty darn cool).

This year, the celebration - and, thus, the car show - is the weekend of July 23-25. The car show is on July 24, 10am-2:30pm. There are no classes, but we do have a few awards to hand out, including the coveted People's Choice Award, best club participation and farthest distance travelled.

Registration is $5 per car, and we know that's reasonable. But, nowhere else will you get your 5 bucks back, in the form of food - you get a full lunch, plus a dash plaque, plus the chance to meet the Mayor and stroll the grande Main Street walk (two blocks) for 1 Lincoln.

If anyone is going to the Hastings Cruise In that night, don't worry - you can do both.

We are sincerely sorry about doing it the same weekend as a club activity, but this is planned out at least a year in advance and we can't change it. Maybe we can work something out next year.

West Concord is about an hour south of St. Paul, and we have some cool maps and directions on the web site, besides links to various places where you can map your own route.

http://www.wcevents.org and click on the Car Show link.

If you can't make the club activity, we'll make sure you can still have fun that weekend! We're always well represented by Ford enthusiasts, but it's always good to have a few more!

p51mstg
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM
By the way, I didn't join this club, just so I could post that. So, if you accuse of that, you'll make me cry. :nervous:

p51mstg
07-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Road construction to the south of West Concord remains on schedule, and MN Hwy 56 may actually be open to traffic by the 24th. For anyone coming from the Twin Cities, or going to the Hastings cruise afterwards, this won't affect you.

GMan
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested if I get my car back together. Have to see how the bride is doing first, with the chemo and all.

HELLFYR
07-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Whatcha got taken apart Gary ?

I was running around so much this past weekend I don't think I ever actually stopped down to look at the cars in our row.

Rod

Aspette
07-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Congrats to Marie (HMMRDWN) for winning queens choice :bouquet: and Erica (MSMISTYK) for winning Mayors choice :bouquet: at this show today
side note MNF won club award :ford::ford::ford::ford::ford::ford:

shadowMN
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Congrats Misty & Hmmr... :happydance: P51 was glad to see our 6 cars show up for this show. Good times....

GMan
07-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't get to make it. Got my Rear end fixed though. Ready for next show or cruise.

TF2v97SN
07-24-2010, 11:53 PM
i saw it all apart, i hope you were doing some 4:10's ;)

HMMRDWN
07-25-2010, 07:48 AM
It was a beautiful day for a cruise down to West Concord! And it was great to meet fellow club member P51MSTG and support the local fundraiser for the historical society. Will post up pics soon! :)
Let's put this on our calendar again next year! :thup:

p51mstg
07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
It was very nice to meet everyone! It was a long day for me, but seeing those Mustangs come around the corner was definitely the highlight! It seemed like everyone had a good time - including the locals (I did NOT have anything to do with the awards - that was strictly what the people wanted, and I think that says something about how much they liked the Mustangs).

Normally, I bring down West Concord's frst fire truck, a 1929 International, to the show. Unfortunately, we think it's got a broken valve spring, and it stayed parked all weekend. So, sorry I couldn't get that out. It's quite a rig - 6-cylinder 45hp straight 6, 4 wheel drum brakes and electric start - all OPTIONS in the 1920s. Incidentally, the engine is a Lycoming, which is a company that switched to making aircraft engines after about 1930. I think the ignition system is a Delco. The upholstery (or, what's left of it) is actual horsehair - that was the only way to go back then.

After the car show, I went home and changed shirts/hats (figuratively and literally), and went down to the big tent for a fire department fundraiser. Then, my wife and I went down to the dance for a beer to unwind with music by Jonah and the Whales (a great band from the metro). After the dance was over at 1am, I was back down there to help clean up. We hose down the street with a fire truck, and that convinces people to go home (or somewhere else, anyway). There's a non-demoninational church service under the big tent on Sunday mornings every year, and we have to get the beer (and.... let's just say... other smells). washed down the drain for them! I was in bed by 3:30am. So much for life in a small town...

I'd love to see those pictures!

shadowMN
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
P51mstg.....On behalf of our little group that attended your show....we want to thank you and everyone from your great community that worked so hard to organize a great car show. You made all of us feel very welcome and even ordered up great weather to boot !! We met and talked to many of your local residents while we were there and truly enjoyed the day. Keep us posted for next years show.... we would love to come back again.

msmistyk
07-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the hospitality, had a fun time at your show/fundraiser. Hope you were able to raise what you were hoping for. Will definatly go back next year. Parking in the street of small town America reminded me alot of the Sturgis Mustang Rally car show! It was great meeting you p51! :)