PDA

View Full Version : Track tale of woe...

soulfisher
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
It's been a while since I've posted anything up in Track Tales. Here's the latest saga. I usually try to save rebuilding the engine for the winter, but found myself up to my elbows in rebuild this summer. A seized oil pump took out the distributor and cam. Picture below. Since I'm into replacing the cam, going with longer duration, higher lift, which of course means new springs, machining valve guides, etc... Adding a main girdle, windage tray and stud girdles while I'm at it. Engine dyno session on 7/7. We'll see what I get.

No1Ford
06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
:( Looks like this is your chance at that 9.99 pass.

soulfisher
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Back from the dyno. Horsepower up to 568.8 @ 7600 rpm from 544.5 at 7100 rpm. Torque is down 10% so I should be able to keep the 10.5" slicks hooked up and save the 8.8" rear end. If I don't edge into the 9's now, I'll have to start over with a new motor.

HELLFYR
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Good luck Mark!

soulfisher
07-18-2010, 05:16 PM
First pass on the motor rebuild - lost oil pressure, put the car back in the trailer and headed home.... Motor pulled fine on the dyno, so not sure what is wrong. Probably won't look into it for a week or so. But I'm thinking it's over for the season.

LadyCobra
07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Bummer :( Hope it's just a minor glitch in the road.

DNeinstadt
07-19-2010, 07:04 AM
oil pump driveshaft? Pickup tube the right one for the oilpan? You lost oil pressure or didn't have it when you started?

No1Ford
07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
First pass on the motor rebuild - lost oil pressure, put the car back in the trailer and headed home.... Motor pulled fine on the dyno, so not sure what is wrong. Probably won't look into it for a week or so. But I'm thinking it's over for the season.

That suck Mark, maybe it's time to focus on other things this year? Some times we just need to take a step back and regroup.

soulfisher
07-21-2010, 06:02 AM
oil pump driveshaft? Pickup tube the right one for the oilpan? You lost oil pressure or didn't have it when you started?

Pressure was fine before the run, I let up as it was dropping and had 0 by the time I hit the pit. Gradual drop, so a growing problem. Pickup, girdle, windage tray and pan are all new and all the matching parts from Canton. Not suspecting pump driveshaft or pickup as I can crank the car and get oil pumping out of the mechanical pressure gauge port but no oil coming out of the pushrods. So somewhere past the gauge there is likely an unrestricted flow back to the pan. I'm guessing a main bearing, although could be cam bearing. I would expect knocking if it was a rod bearing. Maybe a fragment of the old cam was left in the system, caught and spun it. Speculation at this point, won't get into the engine for a few more weeks.

No1Ford - you're right. I was thinking I should maybe hang it up this year after Grove Creek and the first failure. Didn't, so I got one partial pass and got a second chance. If you come out to the track, you might find me working in staging / tech. Maybe we'll stop by for a pizza since we won't have the trailer behind the rv.