PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying drag racing

HMMRDWN
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok...so I'm in need of a little help from my friends on this one. :)

I have never drag raced...well, ok we won't count those times at the stoplights.. :)

A friend of mine has me close to convinced to give drag racing a try. Apparently, there's something called a show-n-go up at BIR that has classes for just about everything. This weekend is one such event, but I'm not ready to give it a try just yet.

However, sounds like a blast, but as a first timer I think I had better do a little research and reach out for some help here. Where do I find the rules and requirements? I did find something on BIR's site that indicated I'd need a Snell 2000 or better helmet. I can get that covered.

For those of you that have had some fun racing before, can you point out some tips on what might be a good way to get started? I'm sure not going to blow anyone away on the track, but I sure would like to try it. :)

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

DNeinstadt
07-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Kyle (Blackstang5.4) and I were just talking about this. We picked out two days that I think would work well for racing. I'll post up a poll/interest gauging thread.

Marie, I have been doing it for quite some time and would be more than happy to show you how it's done. You can actually go down the track with a passenger so we can talk our way through it. I did this with Erica a couple of years back and I think it worked out OK for her?

Dan

drop top
07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
marie,

some of us from tcstangs are thinking about doing it on sunday. if we go, you are welcome to come along. pm me if you are interested ion more information.

soulfisher
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Haven't been to a show and go, but Brainerd typically isn't the place to learn on a bracket weekend. It's extremely slow moving. Come to Rock Falls Raceway on a Saturday Test and Tune and if you want to give competition a try, you can always do the afternoon gambler or Saturday night Special. It's one thing to drive down the track for a timeslip, it's another thing to launch with a decent reaction time and figure out whether you are ahead and not running too fast when you are rushing toward the finish line during a bracket race. Be careful, drag racing is addictive! But it is also a sport where there are a lot of people willing to help you learn and provide you help.

HMMRDWN
07-03-2010, 11:45 AM
marie,

some of us from tcstangs are thinking about doing it on sunday. if we go, you are welcome to come along. pm me if you are interested ion more information.

Hey, thanks for the invite Carson. I won't be able to go this weekend...have to cheer the Twins on to victory! :)

HMMRDWN
07-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your insight. After trying out the autocross event this year, I am really keyed up about giving this a try too. I have a feeling that I will be addicted in no time. :) Sounds like Rock Falls would be a good starting point. I'll check my calendar to see if the suggested dates will work. :)

soulfisher
04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Great to see you at the track! I think we have another addicted drag racer in the club.
HMMRDWN at the track (http://www.soulfisherphoto.com/Rock-Falls-Raceway/2011/April-9-Test-and-Tune/16561241_m739S#1247328236_fPYjQ)

DNeinstadt
04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Grats guys! What did they all run? Todd's diesel run a 12 flat? :)

drop top
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Good Job Marie!
What did ya run?
Spill the beans.....

soulfisher
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Grats guys! What did they all run? Todd's diesel run a 12 flat? :)
Sure, if we stopped somewhere between the 660 and the 1000' marker. Ronica got a great picture of his "Got Soot" vanity plate from behind with the soot belching at the line.

HMMRDWN
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
It was so much fun! Soulfisher is right...I'm now addicted. :)
I've never done that before so my goal was to work on staging and figure out how to be consistent. Best ET was 14.1 and best reaction time was .060
I had a lot of slips in the 14.1 range and a lot of pretty good reaction times. I think with a little practice I can get in the 13.6 neighborhood. Not bad for first time out in my stock GT. :)
Gonna go again!

MadJack
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
great job!

HELLFYR
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Awesome! It is a blast for sure. I'm still "hoping" to get out this year, as gas prices keep going up the chances of my driving out to Rock Falls keeps going down though... :( gotta save up for Sturgis. :)

Rod

No1Ford
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Great job! Let me know the next time you plan on going.

sonicx
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Thats really sick!!! Glad to hear you liked it and it went well for you. I want to give it a try (1st timer here as well) but I need to wait until school is over next month b4 I can.

PS: ill let ya know chris if im going to rock falls > could use some noob advice. :)

HMMRDWN
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Great job! Let me know the next time you plan on going.

Thanks! I'm headed out there this Saturday (04/16) assuming no SNOW and probably the last Saturday in April as well (04/30). Who knows what May might bring? :ford: Would love to have some pointers. :)

HMMRDWN
04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Thats really sick!!! Glad to hear you liked it and it went well for you. I want to give it a try (1st timer here as well) but I need to wait until school is over next month b4 I can.

PS: ill let ya know chris if im going to rock falls > could use some noob advice. :)

You are going to LOVE it! :)

No1Ford
04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Maybe the 30th? Thinking about running the Eco down the 1320 once or twice?

HMMRDWN
04-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeahhhh.... sounds like fun!

MadJack
04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
30th we're invited to do elko, i suggest that, as its alot more fun and pushes your car hard...