PDA

View Full Version : Computer Upgrade

Warrlac
07-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Somewhat off topic for strictly auto discussions...

I bought this yesterday. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/Warrlac/Craigs%20List/P1010246.jpg

I know that I should be running Windows 7 because it has the TRIM/Garbage Collection feature that SSD's need. Not sure whether to keep the swap file on the SSD or not?

My plan it to install the OS and a few apps on the SSD and then everything else on the spinner. I'll let you know if I discover anything post-worthy.;)

DNeinstadt
07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I have striped SSD's and I was told to NOT use a pagefile/swapfile on them... I also use W7 TRIM.

Tooslow
07-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd heard the same thing about the page/swap file, but I think that was mostly early adopter stuff when people were concerned about burning through the finite number of write cycles the drives were rated for. I've been running a 60GB SSD (OCZ, about 40GB full) as the only drive in my Windows 7 machine for about 6 months now with no issues. I use a network mapping to a different machine with a couple TB drives in it for storing things like music and movies.

My work laptop is also an SSD, and you don't have an option for moving the swap file off in that scenario.

It's hard to go back to other machines after getting use to the snappiness of an SSD!

p51mstg
07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm one of the first ones with Win7 at work (corporate tech support - we're all standardized on WinXP), and love it. Much better than Vista. Never messed with an SSD, and nobody here has, either (to my knowledge). That's very interesting!