PDA

View Full Version : U-Haul car trailer??

66gtk
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I would like to haul my Mustang 400 miles one-way to ND and was considering renting a U-haul car trailer. I really can't find another option, and I don't want to drive a trailer back empty. I have a 2005 F150, so I think I will be OK with that as a tow vehicle. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these. I sure hope I don't get a beat up piece of junk and was wondering what I can do to make sure my trip is uneventful as I will have one of my young daughters along with me for the ride.

Thanks,
Troy

DNeinstadt
07-28-2010, 09:13 AM
One way U haul's work well, get a flatbed vs. a tow behind. Your truck will tow it just fine. They should be able to supply you everything you need as long as you have a hitch.

Blackcoog
07-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Check one way vs two way pricing with them as well. I believe it was cheaper for us to tow it both ways vs. one way. It would be nice not to haul an empty trailer but if it's cheaper overall...

FLSTCI71
07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
^^ What has already been said, plus you need a receiver hitch, not a bumper hitch and U-Haul refers to their car trailers as "auto transports".

To expand on the hitch, I was by Montana getting a U-Haul to bring a car home (with a bumper hitch) and they rented me the trailer with no problems. The next week I was in Kentucky getting a U-Haul to bring a car home (with the same truck) and they wouldn't rent me the trailer. I told the guy I had just rented a U-Haul "auto transport" the week before out west. He looked at me, said "Not here" and walked away. That was not fun....

MadJack
07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
extra chains, good spares. ya know the simple stuff.

but a trailer is way better, done both and like the convenience of the trailer as you can back it up.