PDA

View Full Version : Machining Slotted or Drilled Rotors

crouse
03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
I want to have my slotted & drilled rotors turned when I install new pads. The places I've checked tell me that they can't turn them because when their tool hits a slot or hole, their tool will break. Anyone know where I can get these rotors turned? I'm thinking I need a machine shop. I live in Rosemount. Thanks, Curt

prostang92
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
ive never heard of them being able to be turned ???

DNeinstadt
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Me either. Honestly I wouldn't turn them?

Video_Master
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I have always heard that they can NOT be turned cause of that very reason. A machine shop will use the same kind of tools to turn them as anywhere else.

No1Ford
03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
You can not have them turned, the carbide insert would hit the hole or slot and break like you were told!

engnerdan
03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
I hate to scream non sense but it is, there are special cutting tools for "interrupted cuts" and that is all it would take. But 99.99% of automotive shops don't know this and will never know this. What diameter are your rotors? I can see if they will fit on the lathe at the shop.

-Dan

HAULNSS
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Remember that by turning them you will be removing some material and making them thinner and less mass. In theory, this will make them even more prone to warping than when they were new as there is less mass to absorb the heat and dissipate it.

Just my opinion,
Randy

DNeinstadt
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Sounds like consensus is to not bother?

Miller
03-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I personally would never turn rotors, if they are already warped then, like stated, turning them will only increase the likeliness of them warping again. Or worse, because they've gone through heat cycles they weren't meant for, they may become more brittle and also more likely to crack. I guess if you really don't have the money for new ones, turning them would be a temporary solution.

crouse
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help on this.

Dan, the front rotors are about 12.5" and the rears are about 11".

My rotors are not warped. I just want to scuff them up and get a nice flat surface for my new pads will bed-in properly.
It's probably only going to take 1/32" to do this.

Thanks,
Curt

engnerdan
03-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help on this.

Dan, the front rotors are about 12.5" and the rears are about 11".

I would simply take a high speed sander and run it over the surface to remove the shine. Something between a 36 grit and 60 should do the trick. The lathe we have at the shop only spins up a 12 inch stock.

-Dan

prostang92
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I would simply take a high speed sander and run it over the surface to remove the shine. Something between a 36 grit and 60 should do the trick. The lathe we have at the shop only spins up a 12 inch stock.

-Dan

also you would need some way to center them on the lathe....