PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis Update

HELLFYR
09-04-2010, 04:29 AM
Just stopping in quick to check on the board...

Day 1 Sturgis - AWESOME!
Went on a 250+ mile poker run today through the Black Hills.
Our "guide" ended up taking us through Custer State Park and then back up along Iron Mountain Road (not originally on the Poker Rally map) a twisty turny blast of a drive with some outstanding views and photo-points of Mt. Rushmore.
Cards for the Poker Run will be drawn on Sunday with a "substantial" cash prize to the best
5 card hand.

Today is "Show and Shine" day so last night was "warsh the ponies" night.
Out Hotel has a U-DO car wash just down the street (was closed last year for remodeling).
Possibly the best pressure washer I have ever seen. NO need for bucket washing, it blew
everything including embedded (very heavy) brake dust (layered from the long braking twists
and turns of the Pig-tail bridges along the Iron Mountain Route). Very cool!
Parking lot was full of booze, buckets, Zaino and music... oh, and pizza boxes.
Cars are lined up later this morning in a staging lot by car class.
Most of our group is staging up at 7:30. So not too long before we all need to be up.

Later tonight is the "Street Stang Drags" at the Sturgis 1/8th mile.
If it runs like last year, this will run long into the night (finished at 1am last year).
Going to try and improve on my top 16, but we will see.
There are some serious street machines here this year!
Should be a lot of fun regardless.

Will check back in L8R.

Rod

HELLFYR
09-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Another outstanding day in Sturgis!

Show and shine had a TON of magnificent cars (we won't know results until tomorrow evening).

Tonight WYSIWYG and I ran the Sturgis Dragstrip.
Pretty sure Rick's best time was a 10.2x, I could only pull off a 8.2x.
Simply couldn't launch the cars, there was no traction to be had.
Oh well... I made it to the 2nd round and red lited by 0.05.
No final 16 this year.... :geeza:

I did give a couple of crowd pleasing smoke shows though. :dancenana:

Tomorrow morning starts the AVF Racing sponsored Auto-cross, and the awards banquet is tomorrow night.

Looking like rain for the drive home on Monday :nervous:

66gtk
09-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the taking time to post the info Rod. Sounds like you will need some sleep....

p51mstg
09-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the updates! It sounds like a lot of fun!

We took the kid back to college this weekend. No comparison.... :all_coholic:

HELLFYR
09-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Was beat last night, so didn't post updates... so... here we go.

Sunday morning held the Autocross competition, this year they limited it to the first 75 cars to sign up (or show up if they were short in the sign up).
This made things go very smooth, I didn't hear anyone complain about not being able to get into the competition so I think it was ok.
I made it to the round of 32 as did WYSIWYG (Rick), RedGT (Dwain G), and MystryGt (John). The next round we all started pushing it a little
harder and while all running better times, the penalties mounted up and knocked us all out of the competition... except Dwain (in his first ever autocross)
Dwain Greer made it through to the sweet 16! But was unfortunately eliminated at that point. Still an OUTSTANDING achievement on his first ever Auto-Cross!

WHAT A BLAST!

We'll post some vids up later today or tomorrow.
Course was very similar to last year with a couple of extra tweaks to slow down the cars.
Which it effectively did. Last year it took a 47 second run to make the sweet 16, this year about a 54 and you were in.
I had a 51.3 second run, but touched 2 cones and slid through the stop (again... sigh) for a 55.3 total with penalties.

The remainder of the day held festivities at the Thunder Dome :sexbed: (uh... no wait... wrong venue)....
Drawing cards for the Poker run... thought I had drawn a GREAT hand with a 9 high straight. Just to be beaten out by Steve Strangis drawing a queens over kings full house. Come to the announcement of the winners and a Aces over 6s full house won it. Steve ended up 4th (which won him some cash). Dwain Greer also cashed in on the full houses for a little cash!

From there a great banquet with Caeser salad / prime rib / mashed spuds / green beans / rolls / all sorts of cookies and brownies.... $2 bottles of beer... mmmmm.... what a night.

Then on to the awards.... our club quite literally cleaned house in the Show and Shine with Yellow05GT (Steve S), F8LBite (Randy aka Erica), MystryGT (John L), BaddAsp (Gary H), G-Man (Gary A) and myself (HellFyr/Rod) winning our classes, and WYSIWYG (Rick T) taking 2nd in his class. Add in Dwain Greer's (RedGT) Sweet 16 plaque and we took home a TON of hardware. We were actually approached by the promoters of the show and THANKED for bringing out such a fine selection of cars. KUDOS to everyone for a job well done!

The trip home was long, and tiring driving in rain about 40% of the way, but well worth every second for such a fabulous week with friends both old and many new.

As we say every year, if you can at all swing this event into your schedule you should at least try it once!

Not sure if the SMR people read our site or not, but if you do THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for hosting such a wonderful event !!!

Rod

Saleen2bfree
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Rod!

We had a blast! We will do this great event again. (Only next time I will drag)

Doug and Denise :)

HELLFYR
09-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Glad to have you with Doug... remember... what happens in Sturgis, stays in Sturgis. :fork:

MadJack
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
glad to hear ya'll had such a great time. im hoping to find a 4 cyl fox to swap my v8 i got sitting around into so i can join next year. if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost total for this beast of a trip?

Aspette
09-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Rod!

We had a blast! We will do this great event again. (Only next time I will drag)

Doug and Denise :)

are you a pothead Focker :mooner:

Saleen2bfree
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
are you a pothead Focker :mooner:

No!! I pass on the pot all the time Mr. Clean:wedgie:

Aspette
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
:pimp::thatsfunny::smoking::nuts:

LadyCobra
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Our pictures from Sturgis are here: http://www.mnfords.com/album.php?albumid=40

Picture of all MNFE Winners
http://www.mnfords.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2332

HELLFYR
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Too bad this wasn't "active" while out there could have been a LOT of fun...

http://videos.rapidcityjournal.com/p/video?id=17251768

Knuckles was open, but I didn't hear about any "events".

hehe

msmistyk
09-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Nice pic of the winners :)