engine building question

Thread: engine building question

Banned

Cool engine building question

ok, so im thinking i wanna finally start building this 5.0 that i've had sitting around for a few years.
    a few simple questions
    for strength and reliability forged is the way to go right?
    i see different companies using different material, whats the best?
    i also see that you can get cast(junk) forged,(best?) and hypertunic?? pistons,can anyone explane the last option, what is it?

and i'm still unsure how big i wanna go, i know it needs bored, so i could very well just bore it out and throw it back together with better parts. but this isnt smart while i have the time and such to do all that work for just a rebuild,right?

in my old 91 fox it had a 347 in it, i loved it!
    and i may go that route again, but i worry about the piston skirt problem that you can run into with the 347/
    now if i were to do a 331 does it have the same problem?
    my thing is, go big or go home...should i just follow that?

im planning on this engine going into another fox at somepoint and am planning on turbo'ing, so i want a low compression build ?

sorry if these are stupid questions, just getting my ducks in a row. the time frame for the build will be over the next year or so and will probly involve buying used heads and intakes and such. thx.nick.

Registered Users
    I have always thought it would be cool to build a strong 302 and then add a lot of turbo or SC =)

If you plan on going boosted at some point you do need to run forged internals and lower compression or you could break things. You can get away with cast internals but are limited at the power they can support and can't run high boost. Now as far as boring the cylinders goes it can get pretty expensive quickly and forged internals are also pretty spend. Brett has a bit of money into his build. I was looking into a short block for my car. The ones I was looking at are pre forged and anywhere from $2300-$3000. Just look at all options and be ready to spend a lot of money. Building your engine i will say on the low end of $2000 and getting a turbo will be at least $4000.
    BOC for me

Banned
    i think i'm just gonna keep cost low and build a 306 set up for boost. any boost pro's? i'm gonna be putting the engine in a 86 ranger that i'm picking up, the swap wont happen for a year or so. so i got lots of time to learn lol. i need suggestions on a good trans, o/d is a must.

Current Paid Member
    your problem is going to be the crappy 302 block when adding boost.... block will be the weak point
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W

Banned
    hmmm, well, sure as heck cant afford a new block