2005 Frod Escape Nightmare
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Frod Escape Nightmare

Registered Users

2005 Frod Escape Nightmare

Every time the garage got dampness in it, the Escape would miss, badly. After a couple days, everything would be OK. Well, finally got really bad and the wife took it to the local mechanic...good, competent guys. They diagnosed an ECU problem: seems the ECU has 3 circuits which control the spark plug grounding/ 2 plugs each. One was toast, so they sent it out for repair. After 4 weeks of total incompetence (people leaving for vacation w/o finishing the work, ete., etc.), it finally got back yesterday and now it seems they can't reprogram it! ARRRRGGGGGGGGG!

New one from Tousley is $528 + $100 core charge.

I can't believe haw hard it is to get people to just do their freakin' job these days.

So, now, if they can't reprogram it, what do I do? Any suggestions?

Jim

You gave them a working but damaged unit. They returned a totally non-functional unit. Sounds like grounds to go back to them and have THEM replace it. Unless you signed something to the effect that they are not liable... yada yada yada...

Current Paid Member
    i woulda bought a new or used one instead of getting it fixed, oh and i bet a dealer can program it!
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W

When mine did a similar thing it was coil packs.
    Ended up replacing all 6 over the next three months. Was cutting out, couldn't accelerate up a hill, etc.

Not sure if my trouble is the same, but yours sounds familiar. Mine is a 2004 v6 with 180k

I have also heard of coilpacks going bad. Believe it or not, I have about 50 of these at my house right now and you are welcome to borrow 6 of them to test... Just say the word (and remind me!) and you can borrow them to test out!

Dan

Registered Users
    Well...chapter 2: they got it to reprogram and because of the ridiculous delays, they didn't charge me for the ECU repairs. BUT...now it's burned out another of the plug circuits. Guess I should have had them replace ALL the COPs. So...back the repair place again, another week-and-a-half, and $375 worth of COPs.

Jim

JIM - I HAVE COPS, cancel them and get them from me...

Jim,

I replaced 3 of mine myself and a little guidance from Brett.

Remember you can get some coils from Dan or new from a v ford for 10% over cost, I wanna say they were just over $100 each....

Please let me know, I would happily lend them to you (all 6) to troubleshoot. I have a TON of these and they are all from low mileage cars..

Dan

Current Paid Member
    the problem dan is to trouble shoot is to remove the intake to install them, its worth putting new ones in perminantly.....
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W