Computer Upgrade

Thread: Computer Upgrade

Computer Upgrade

I have striped SSD's and I was told to NOT use a pagefile/swapfile on them... I also use W7 TRIM.

Registered Users
    I'd heard the same thing about the page/swap file, but I think that was mostly early adopter stuff when people were concerned about burning through the finite number of write cycles the drives were rated for. I've been running a 60GB SSD (OCZ, about 40GB full) as the only drive in my Windows 7 machine for about 6 months now with no issues. I use a network mapping to a different machine with a couple TB drives in it for storing things like music and movies.

My work laptop is also an SSD, and you don't have an option for moving the swap file off in that scenario.

It's hard to go back to other machines after getting use to the snappiness of an SSD!

I'm one of the first ones with Win7 at work (corporate tech support - we're all standardized on WinXP), and love it. Much better than Vista. Never messed with an SSD, and nobody here has, either (to my knowledge). That's very interesting!
    Wise Old Geezer say, "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt."